Saxophone Forum

by JeremyA
(28 posts)
18 years ago

vintage conn

I have an alto sax made by conn and I am trying to find out what model it is. The serial number is 537708 and is says C G Conn Ltd Elkhart on the bell. Please let me know if you can identify this sax for me.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: vintage conn

thats 1955, probably a 6M(the pro model - very nice)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Does it have an engraving of music notes with a lady in a pentagon engraved on the bell? Does it have the octave key mounted on the bottom side of the neck? If so, it is a 6M. Otherwise, it would be one of the first Director's models.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by JeremyA
        (28 posts)

18 years ago

It does not have any engraving on the bell but the the words C G Conn LTD. I have not looked at the sax in a while, but I think I remember that the octave key was on the top of the neck. From what you have said I think it is an early Director model. I have been given an offer to buy this sax from a guy I know for $350. Do you think it is still worth the money if it is not a 6M?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

If it's in good shape, it's well worth $350. The earlier Directors models were great horns. They are modeled after the Conn Pan American horns. They have a good sound and a nice, fast action. My first alto was a 1963 Directors model and it was a great horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!