Saxophone Forum

by saxs_make_it_happen
(42 posts)
18 years ago

Reed Question-any Suggestions?

Hi, I am 17, a senior in high school and been playing my alto for 6 years now. I recently traded in my student Yamaha and bought a cannonball raven (I love it by the way) and I'm trying to upgrade everything for my second round of all-state coming up Dec.10. I bought a selmer C* lig. and tryin a vandoren ZZ 3 on it with a rovner dark lig. It makes a beautiful sound but when I get to high E and F it seems to not want to play a lot of the time it gets REALLY annoying. I think its the reed but im not sure. I can play it with a regular vandoren 3 but I like how the ZZ sounds so much more. Should I mabey try Henke reeds? I'm tryin to get the best stuff to use so ANY suggestions of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
    (42 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reed Question-any Suggestions?

What about the Gigliotti Advantage reeds? I'm looking for a classical setup by the way. thanx

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxophonik
    (73 posts)

18 years ago

Are you going to play jazz or legit? I'm going to assume it's legit by the fact you got a C*. The style will be a big factor in what you're looking for. For a jazz reed you might want to try for jazz is Rico Jazz Selects, about 3 med. (filed, or unfiled if you like to shape your reeds.) As far as legit, have you tried dropping down a half size to see if that makes any difference? If not, the Vandoren blues, I think, would be sufficient, (but, then again, I went through college playing Rico Royals on my C* for my legit studies :P ) Another thing to think about: if you're going into a big audition, you don't want to be changing your whole set-up... too much to learn to control and think about in a short time. You might want to stick with what you're comfortable with right now so you can concentrate on the music, not your embochure control or horn reaction to certain notes on a different reed. Good luck with the audition!!

Reply To Post

3. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Woot!! Cannonball's rock. I just got a A1 Big Bell Black Nickel/Silver Keys and I love it too. I got it friggen brand new looking. Paid $1400. It's so perdy. I had bought a Chicago series (very similar horn by LA Sax and B&S) but it just was to legit feeling for me. I actually think the keywork was better on the Chicago but the Cannonball just has so much more of a Big Bell sound...heh. And the keywork is defintaly above average. ..."I bought a selmer C* lig. and tryin a vandoren ZZ 3 on it with a rovner dark lig."... Does this mean C* Mouthpiece van ZZ 3 and a rovner Dark lig? I think you have a typo in your sentence and that's what you ment. Ya that setup seems fine. C*? I use a C * too for legit. I used to play on a S90 for college but as soon as I was smart enough to realize it was way too closed faced for my taste I got rid of it. I have been toying with getting something even more open for letgit playing. I play Jumbo Java mouthpice for Jazz and have been thinking my legit sound could do to be a tad bigger without sounding like a melodramatic legit player. Reeds? I just use Vandoren Java. Have used them for the last 7 years. Like a consistant, nicely cut, and nice and thick in the center reed. ZZ is probably the right choice for all-state tryouts. I use a vandoren lig. but that's just out of habit and price. Now your question? What to change. Well. What does the All-state teachers want you to sound like to get 1st chair? That "melodramatic legit player" Why? Because they are that "melodramatic legit player" Tone has a big impact on who they pick as 1st chair. I would say if I judged, both the first and second at that level would be conpedent to sit 1st so it would be all about tone and musicality. You might want to go with a more soloist mouthpiece. C* is great, but the bigest drawback is volume on a C* It's got great tone and resonce. It just might not project you into the hearts of your judges as well as other mouthpieces would. What about a C* Soloist?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM