Saxophone Forum

by MarkLavelle
(300 posts)
18 years ago

Metal mouthpiece Q

NB: I'm a tinkerer to the core, and mouthpieces are just the sort of thing I like to tinker with... I've only been playing sax (tenor) seriously for 1 yr, but I've been a musician (mostly guitar & vocals) for about 40. My main interests on sax are jazz & rock, but I'm also contemplating joining the local community wind ensemble. I've already got a Rovner G #6 that I think is appropriate for the ensemble thing, and a Vandoren Java T45 that's still just a little bit challenging (getting used to the bigger opening), but seems right for most jazz (and maybe r'n'r). I also have a Vandoren Jumbo Java T55 that I *can't* quite control (squeak squeak), but I expect to get there soon enough... So ... my question is: what are the strengths/weaknesses of metal mouthpieces? In particular, I'm looking at the Otto Link New York 6*. It's reasonably priced, and I like the fact that it's described as 'dark'. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mark

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by skifast
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Metal mouthpiece Q

Mark, Just traded in my Otto Link 6 Metal and went to a Dukoff L8. Try the Dukoff. The Otto Link was too dark and not as responsive as the Dukoff. The Dukoff is more money, but if it works, you will have it forever. Otherwise, you can always trade it in. T.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

1. Is the 'L' available new (or did you mean D)? Didn't find any Ls in a quick search. 2. What is the opening on that L8?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

Pluses of Metal mouthpieces: Are more durable and hold facings better Allow for smaller profiles due to material strength Minuses: More expensive to purchase and reface.

Reply To Post