Saxophone Forum

by bcwins124
(12 posts)
18 years ago

highest possible note on alto sax

After playing the sax for 5 years now, i can finally get way up to a 4th octave F. Is their any notes higher than that known to man?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: highest possible note on alto sax

Well I guess if you squeak into the horn or just big completely threw the reed you could get higher. Seriously I tend not to practice above 4th octive C so I can't be a good judge. There's no realy use on playing above that, plus it irritates the neighbors and other lower life forms like dogs and mice.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Thats the joy of being a saxophone :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

using the whole annoyance thing, are all of the saxes in any of your bands the most annoying, as in playing all of the time, the same things over and over?

Reply To Post

1. by bcwins124
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

no, we all play all the time but the others in the band i play in aren't like that!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Rather than play much beyond altissimo A, on my tenor or alto, I usually reach for my soprano! I think playing much above F# on a soprano while standing next to a window could be dangerous! I wouldn't recommend it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by mattMrozinski
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

how high is this concert pitch and i dont really get the terminology a whole lot but how would one achieve this?

Reply To Post

4. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

the only limit to the higher range of a sax is the player, and their ability to visualize and sing the note in their mind, and findf a fingering to bring it out

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by Peepin728
          (17 posts)

18 years ago

Hello bcwins. To answer your question, yes there are higher notes on sax. I play alto, and I can cromatic scale up to the 5th octave C tonguing and slurring. If you email me at [email protected] I can give you the fingerings for the notes above the F you are currently at. Like the person above me said, you have the visualize the note and hear it before you can play it. I hope I can help you out! -Dave

Reply To Post