Saxophone Forum

by CountSpatula
(602 posts)
18 years ago

Brightest Mouthpiece

Anyone care to give their input on whats a very bright saxophone mouthpiece? And a second question, i was looking at vintage mpcs and i saw a "Dukoff HD Fluted Chamber", and im wondering what "Fluted" means...i play on a dukoff D8 so im curious...any help please? :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Brightest Mouthpiece

Sorry forgot to add im moving to lead part in jazz band this year and i was wondering if theres a good Loud and Bright MPC that would be suit for it to cut through the band?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

I can only take a guess at your question about Fluted mpcs. as I don't have any real knowledge of them: in most cases, something that is fluted, according to Webster's, is something "ornamented with grooves, channels, etc." This would lead me to believe that the inside of the mpc is grooved, maybe to make the air flow a certain way. Can anyone give a better, or correct answer? It kinda has me wondering now. I played a Dukoff D7 on my alto for a time. I don't remember the reason, but I sold it and bought a Eugene Rousseau Jazz h/r with a Vandoren metal lig. I play a 1955 "The Martin" and the Rousseau gives me a clearer, crisper tone with better projection than the Dukoff did on it. When I play in a big band setting, I can get a loud enough volume to lead the section and still be relaxed. When I need to play solo, I can dig in a little more and I get enough projection to cut over the rest of the band without sacrificing tone quality. It may not be a Gaurdala, but I have no complaints. But, like I said, I play a Martin. If you play on a Selmer, Yamaha, Buecsher, or anything else but a Martin, I have no other suggestions other than to rent some mpcs. and ligs (and try different reeds with each combo) from your local shop and try each out in the band setting to see which is best suited for your needs. Good luck, and hope someone can better answer your question about mpc fluting.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

your right, saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=DukoffFlutedAS504 it does have little grooves in it i guess that what it means, but i have no clue what it sounds like.... and yeah im playing on a selmer now.

Reply To Post AIM