Saxophone Forum

by budding_saxman
(7 posts)
18 years ago

Mark VI vs. the Reference Series

hi, i'm thinking about serioulsy upgrading my tenor. currently i play an unlaquered 'Mad Meg' (?) Canonball, but i'm thinking about going for one of those new selmer reference series (ref 54), or possibly trying to hunt down a Mark VI. has anyone heard how the new re-make of the Mark VI stacks up against the original? also, what can people tell me about the following horns in general (i'm only interested in tenors here): Reference 36 Reference 54 SA 80 Series series III, " series II Mark VI (original) Mark VII Canonball unlaquered 'Mad Meg' thanks for all the input; this is a huge investment for me (given my poor grad student status), so all the info i can collect would be greatly appreciated. -- eager-neophyte

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by budding_saxman
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mark VI vs. the Reference Series

anyone? i'm sure someone's got some opinions on these horns...

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

I have three MK VI's and I want to repeat : Don't buy one with a high F#. The Ref 54 is a very nice horn. The MKVII is a good horn, and I don't know japanese horns, or the other Selmer series horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

I think you should just stay with the Cannonball, but if you really want to change horns, at least try the Ref 54 or 36 before you buy it, I find Reference Selmers are like vegemite (aussie version of marmite), you either love em or hate em. You wouldnt want to be stuck with a horn you dont like, would ya? Mark VI's are awsome horns, but I think they are a tad overpriced. I love Cannonballs, they are the easiest horns to play, everything comes out, and they have a great sound! If I were you I'd stay with the Cannonball. But seeing as I'm not you, go out and try the Reference horns, if you like em, go for it. Be sure to try out an old Conn or Buescher, the keywork may be crap but damn, they just give you the best sound to work with, I haven't found one modern horn that can compare to the sound of a vintage Naked lady or Buescher 400. They are cheaper, and have an awesome tone. Be sure to search around. Best of Luck Sean

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"Be sure to try out an old Conn or Buescher, the keywork may be crap but damn, they just give you the best sound to work with, I haven't found one modern horn that can compare to the sound of a vintage Naked lady or Buescher 400. They are cheaper, and have an awesome tone. Be sure to search around. " keywork, crap, what what what!!!! sure they aren't "modern" but I didn't have a problem adjusting to them after about 30 min of playing. I do agree with you about how they sound though!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by TONY HOLLY
        (10 posts)

18 years ago

I played for a while in a quintet using two tenors on the front. My fellow saxophonist had a reference 54 and I blow a 1959 MKVI. We very often used to swap tenors for a couple of numbers. I found the 54 a much smaller and thinner sounding horn while my colleague couldn't get enough of my 6. I don't think that this is any guide...it's a matter of taste but just thought I'd pass that one on.

Reply To Post