Saxophone Forum

by Yeoman
(6 posts)
18 years ago

York???

Hi all!=] And thanks for saving us from a purchase we prob'ly would have regreted!!! (don't you just hate regrets) The forum has been very helpful. I'm looking at a York alto now, but hav'nt found any info on them except a serial # list. This one's a 1928. It looks ALOT like a Buescher. What can you tell me? My son is a high school freshman now and it's time to upgrade his sax from his beat up pawn shop Buesch. Providence guided us on that deal because we knew less then than we do now (absolutly nothing). $175 & $65 in repairs & its been a very good value. But it is beat up & ugly. So we started looking for shinny new (cheap asian) and again Providence came to the rescue and landed us at this forum. So now we can really appreciate our beater Buescher. We also are getting him a Melody Master (C pitch). It looks like a tenor & I think it's made by Martin. Will this have any use in high school band? Got it for $172.50 shipped, so there's room for repairs if needed. Thanks again! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: York???

They don't usually write band music for the C-melody. It does come in handy for playing along with piano or organ, as you don't have to transpose, though.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

York made their own horns. They were based in Grand Rapids, MI. They are similar to the Buescher True Tone, but the True Tones were much better. I wouldn't spend more than a couple hundred dollars even if the horn is in good playing condition. Like Sax Mom said, the C melody is a fun horn to jam along with a piano or organ, or even a guitar, but there is no band music for C Melody. They were designed more for organ and piano accompanyment and playing in church than for brass band. It sounds like you got it for a decent price though. C Melodies are becoming more popular as collector's horns these days. If you're looking for a nice vintage alto that your son can play through high school and college, I would suggest a Conn 6M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Yeoman
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

Thx for the input. I did finally find a site about York's. Not really any info on horns...just the company. Did you know the Martin's worked for them starting in 1902? www.calstatela.edu/faculty/jswain/brass/index.htm Anyway...for now, he's going to continue to blow his Buescher alto. He plays it in pep band. I looked at it last evening...I won't call it a beater any more...actually pretty nice looking. Just a late 70's Aristocrat though. The vintage True Tone or 6M will have to wait for now. In concert band he's playing the school's bari & likes it alot. That's what he really wants I think, but it will also have to wait. They seem pretty pricy. The tenor is the next closest thing so I found a 1921 Martin for $167 shipped. Hope the service man dosen't want as much ;^) In all the reading I've done, seems like I saw something about reeds for the C-mel. They don't make them anymore...substitute some other...but now I can't find the info. Was that true, & if so what reeds do I get for it? Thx again. And here's some of the sites that seemed to have good info for you other sax novices. ;^) drrick.com/index.html www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/Stencils.html www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_Stencil_Saxophones.html

Reply To Post