Saxophone Forum

by musicman1221
(10 posts)
18 years ago

How much are my sax's worth???

My Dad died recently and I took possession of his instruments.They are 2 Sax's from the 50's,a flute and a clarinet from the same time.All our mint and in the original cases.How do I go about identifying the sax's abd seeing what they are worth?I cant see a name on them but I do see designs....I am a guitar player and not up on sax's,but I know they must worth something being they are old and in the cases.Can anyone help me identify these to see what they are really worth?I can take pictures for email if needed.Please let me know.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: How much are my sax's worth???

pictures would be nice, cant say much of anything from your post

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by artsaxbob
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

If you can't find sax maker engraved on the face of the bell your horns they must be very tarnished, The course way is to steel wool off the tarnish and read the name, Or Brasso and rub. If original laquer is in good shape (brass looks shinny like your guitar surface) then get out the magnifing glass. and look over the whole instrument, their's a name somewhere. then come back here, someone knows somthing.

Reply To Post

1. by musicman1221
        (10 posts)

18 years ago

Ok,so maker should be on the face? I'll look tonite and clean it up better.I actually only looked at them very quickly about 2 weeks ago.Im going to take digital pics and post them on here soon as well.Thanks for the quick answers and I will post again soon.

Reply To Post

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
          (42 posts)

18 years ago

ooo now I'm curious to see what it is :P

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by musicman1221
          (10 posts)

18 years ago

I will have pics up in a day or so,I'm still doing late x-mas shopping.All I know so far is they are from the mid 50's and bought in a well known music store at that time.

Reply To Post