Saxophone Forum

by rajarajan
(2 posts)
18 years ago

New to SAX

HI iam looking foward to learn SAX on my own with some elassons .please suggest me some SAX model and link where i can find some basic lesson .since im travelling for my job could not learn from a teacher .i have the passion to learn it .

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxangel
    (5 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New to SAX

I would recommend a Yamaha student model saxophone as a gr8 sax for a beginner & it has a decent sound & price tag...after a year or maybe a few & you have the basics under your fingers you can upgrade. Also it is a good goal to work towards getting that awesome sax when you are ready to play it for real! Good luck, I don't know any links as I am new to this sax-on-the-net thang. Use google search engine and type in Beginner sax lessons or somethin like that. You will be fine.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Since you're traveling, an Alto is probably what you want (hauling a Tenor around would be *extremely* tedious!). If you can afford a new Yamaha YAS-23 you'll probably be happy for at least a few years. Someone here also said good things about the Yamaha YAS-01Q, which is a little less expensive. The 'links and resources' tab here (top left) is a good start for info, and by all means use Google! For a handy reference and starting point, I recommend you get yourself a copy of 'The Art of Saxophone Playing' by Larry Teal, too...

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

um, where were you planning to blow on this sax on the road? I know sax has a pretty sound but it's not the quiet instrument you would think. When I lived in an apartment I was allways carefull not to irritate my neighbors. Just make sure you realize it might take extra effort to find places sound proff enough to practice. WIth that in mind, buy a used Yamaha YAS (Yamaha Alto Sax) - 23 on Ebay. They are a very common good student horn. Expect to pay around $800 for it. I would be reluctant to play less then $550 unless seen in person. In the pictures check for dents or soder points (like it has had work done on it) Buy a new mouthpiece for it Selmer C* S-80 (cost $80-100). Don' t use the mouthpiece that comes with it, alot of times people don't upgrade the mouthpiece and they need to be. You probaby can just use the ligature and neck strap that comes with it, I am sure they are good enough. That setup will treat you good as a beginner plus if you decide it's not for you it will be easy to unload. Buying off brands are harder to get rid of. That's why we are recommending the YAS-23. Don't buy new. When your a kid your parents will force you to play it for years to make up for the price. When your an adult, it will just be wasting your money . Saxes were invented in the 1850's, they really haven't changed much. It's not like your buying a 20 year old computer. Don't forget to buy a tuner and a metradome. If you can't play with others you will need this to get used to playign in tempo and in pitch so when you do play with others things will work out. I hope you have fun.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by rajarajan
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys.iam going to get a alto .guys dont feel iam little stupid .i know nothing of music but have the pasion to learn.please help me with what to look for when i buy it and what else to buy .i see i need a mouth piece a new one .few reeds say 1 1\2 or 2 .tuner and a metradome how do they look like what to look in them .please help me guys

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

sure, where here to help. Alto Sax=YAS (Yamaha Alto Sax) 23 Used. Best place to buy is ebay. Mouthpiece=Selmer C* (S-90) Reeds=size 2 is my suggestion. Manufacturer are Vandoren or Rico Royals. Metronome is the one that plays the beats. It taps the rhythm. The Tuner is the one that tells you if you play in tune, or sound good. You can get the Metronome and Tuner as one device. That might not be a bad idea if you are on the road and short on space. If your not going to play with anyone in a band or group for a long time I strongly suggest you buy the tuner and metronome. That way when you do you will sound better and it will be easier to play with them. Have Fun!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

Combo metronome/tuner: Sabine MT9000 Metrotune Definitely get the Larry Teal book mentioned above, even before you buy anything else...

Reply To Post

2. by saxangel
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

I would defnitly go for a digital tuner & metranome in one, they are so awesome & are small and easy to use & travel with. The metranome functions on some of them have many options such as different time signatures, note values that will help and teach you a better sense & understanding of rythmn. I would also suggest that since you are learning the sax you will need to learn basic music theory, such as recognizing notes on the treble clef staff, differing note values, bars, beats,rests, time signatures, key signatures & basic scales. The more you know & learn about the language of music the more music you will be able to play. It does not happen overnight either, give yourself time, be persistent, be patient with yourself & be kind to yourself. Music is something that you can do for the rest of your life. It is so rewarding & it gives as much as you recieve from it. It is a direct channel to god, and if you like an infinite source of inner rewards.

Reply To Post