Saxophone Forum

by golferguy675
(600 posts)
18 years ago

Alexander Reeds

Am I the only one that thinks they run thin and wear out quickly? I really like their sound versus french cane reeds, but despite their many positive endorsements, they just don't last long at all.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Alexander Reeds

Which do you like, and for what? I've tried a couple of Superials and a box of Classiques and wasn't too impressed, though I don't recall wearing out being a particular problem...

Reply To Post

1. by Buddyroach
      (9 posts)

18 years ago

I tried some alexander superial reeds about a week ago but I found that they weren't to consistent 2 were too hard and 2 were too soft and only the last reed was reasonably playable for me. That however was only one box and as everyone I know loves playing on them i'm willing to give them another shot.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

18 years ago

Well, I first tried the DCs for jazz, but they were way to inconsistent, and weren't totally level on the bottom towards the vamp, causing a lot of skweakiness. I've been playing the Superials for quite some time because they sound much better than any other more traditional reed such as Vandoren or La Voz. The thing is they never go much past a week, and they run quite then compared to other brands. I've been playing a 3, but a 3.5 I think would be to much for a Barone 8M. I don't know, I may just end up switching back to Vandoren Javas... I haven't tried the classiques yet, but am curious, I might give them a try.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

18 years ago

i tried the superials and they suckd.. the 1st reed i tried i was amazed.. the response was great and it gave me this amazing harmonic sound.. i was like, wow.. these reeds are nice.. every other reed kept 'chirping' and was very weak.. ... so i went up a size.. same problem.. wasnt as weak, but it kept chirping and squeaking.. so i gave up.. im thinking of giving the vandoren v 16 size 3's a try..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Tsaxkid
          (29 posts)

18 years ago

I am impressed with the Alexander Classique reeds, but i do occasionally come across a chirpy one. They do not last long for me, but that may be due to the fact I'm using a 2.5 when I'm used to using usually 3.

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

The chirpiness is curable. Just move up a half size, and sand the bottom even(all the way to to the tip). They use Aussie cane instead of French, and though it sounds more harmonic as Yanigasawa said, it is rather inconsistent. But I still stand by the terrible lifespan.

Reply To Post