Saxophone Forum

by Buddyroach
(9 posts)
18 years ago

Alto Sax Cases

My name is Bill and I have been playing for 6 or 7 years now and I am in the market for a new alto sax case as mine is finally starting to come apart. I have a reference 54 alto and I take it to school and back pretty often and I take it plenty of other places, so I need something strong and lightweight. If you have any suggestions, comments or advice I would appreciate your post.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Buddyroach
    (9 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Alto Sax Cases

I have been reading this forum for about two years now and I know you guys have opinions about everything. Help me out. I've been looking through the cases and I will buy the pro-tec if all else fails but I want to know about the BAM softpack Selmer Flightech (kinda pricy) Walt Johnson (kinda pricy) Reunion Blues I mostly want to know about how well these cases protect your horn.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Your case is "finally" starting to come apart? That sounds like you've been itching to buy a new case since you brought the horn home! My Alto I got used in the late 70's... It's a Conn 6m. The case had tape holding it together-the horn was from the 40's. I still have that case. I've added glue, and replaced the tape, but in the 70's, I didn't know you could get other cases. I don't get out with it much, play mostly at home, now, so I use the old case. It protects the horn. That's what's important.

Reply To Post

1. by Tsaxkid
        (29 posts)

18 years ago

A friend of mine has a protec pro pac extreme alto sax case. It is lightweight and even has backpack straps for when you're not carrying a backpack. I also had a protec gig bag which was good, but my old tenor is currently being stored in it.

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

Hiscox cases are lightweight and offer great protection!!

Reply To Post

2. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

18 years ago

It's been said that repair guys love gig bags. You want a case, get a solid case that will protect the horn. If you like having your horn potentially damaged every time you strap it to your back, get a gig bag.

Reply To Post

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Those are all good cases. Remember, techs call gig bags ATMs for a reason!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by kennyj
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

This advice may be a wee bit late. No one understands how to cradle your instrument better than the company chosen by the instrument's manufacturer to house their horns. (The possible exception to this would be the ratty lightweight case option that Selmer used in the 1960's.) For your horn, the Selmer case, or the Walt Johnson case are very good, as Walt Johnson also makes cases for the Selmer company. If price is your biggest consideration, you don't deserve the horn you have. ii-V-I kenny j
          kennyj

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

First Sax Mom, you need to get out and play your horn! Tape? Glue? Second, she has a good point, not to throw out your current case, you will need it for resale so you don' th have to sell you new flashy case. I would go with Walt Johnson case, as I had one before. He will match the inlay with your horn. Not so important on a modern horn as they are pretty much all identical to a Selmer, but more important on my old 49conn I had in it. It was a great case and $250 case for a $3000 horn doesn't seem that pricey? I bought it for my horn and it was only worth 800 bucks. Now you could call me stupid but I would say the same if you put your horn in anything cheaper. I guess you could buy the KRB or whatever they are called on WWBW, they look good. But I have no experience with them. I woud surly vote for a contoured hard case for your horn. Durable and manageable for alot of back and forth in school.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

You say you own a reference 54? The case I got with it was lightweight and hard to protect it and VERY nice, even a random trombone gave me a compliment haha. I think Sax Mom is from the ghetto using tape and glue on her case...haha.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

18 years ago

Hey! alot of us have those old origional cases held together with nothing more than nostalgia, hopes and dreams(little bit of tape and chickenwire too) Its a vintage horn thing I guess and while I have those cases still, I dont usually take the horn to the gig in them. I have nice cases ive bought

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

Hey! I'm going out with it tonight. Should I use the old case from the 40's, or a newer case from the 70's? I wish I could get out with it more often, but that will pick up. I did get out with my soprano a couple of times and (shoot me now) didn't even take the case. Good thing no idiot ran into my car, making me an idiot for not protecting my horn. I believe I'll use the case from the 40's. It was made for the horn, is fitted perfectly, and everyone can feel sorry for me when they see my ratty case!

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

out with no case? Crazy talk. @Sax Mom, just give me your address and I will be over shortly to collect your saxes. Your Sax Licence has been revoked. Seriously, glad your out and playing. Saxes not making music make me sad. That's why I hate collectors. They hold Saxes prisoner and only feed them once a year. That only relates to good horns. People with mult bad horns are actually protecting the population from itself. Say no to bad horns. Say it!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Stiles B
              (101 posts)

18 years ago

Old cases for vintage horns are great and all, but I think it's best to use them for DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY. You wouldn't want to drive Grandma around in a beat-up '69 Bug with bald tires up a mountain pass. I know that's an extreme comparison, but I think it's still valid. Sort of related: remember kids, when putting your horn away, always latch the case closed before moving on. When I was repairing horns, this was one of the leading causes of damage (I should also state that I was guilty of this once in college--bad on me)

Reply To Post

4. by barisax999
              (400 posts)

18 years ago

i agree, never throw out a vintager case, thats a crime, but dont transport horns in them(unless they are in great condition). i personally use a borgani contoured case for my sba alto and it is fantastic. i dont know its age and i dont care. its obviously not original, it came with the horn. all i care about is that it protects my horn. i also like the pro tec cases for gigging locally. they dont offer flight portection, as long as the horn doesnt leave your hands, it has more than enough protection. if there is a lot of travel, i like the selmer flight tec cases.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

There's nothing wrong with a little tape and glue on the vinyl and corners as long as the case is solid and the latches stay closed, but tape and glue can only do so much! If the tape and glue is what's holding the case together, and you have to tie it shut with a shoelace, then you might want to look for a new case! You don't need to spend a lot of money on a new case. The SKB and Gator cases work just fine, and they are relatively inexpensive. The Walt Johnson cases are great and offer a lot of protection, but they don't have much room in them. The Pro-Tech cases look great and they are light weight, but they don't offer as much protection. I wouldn't recommend a soft case. Some of the best jazz/blues musicians of all time were born and raised in the ghetto!

Reply To Post Yahoo!