Saxophone Forum

by jschuth
(10 posts)
18 years ago

Replacement neck for Mark VI

I play a 65,xxx mark VI...mint condition. This neck is in excellent shape with matching numbers. However, I'm toying with the idea of fitting an alternate neck. I love the sound I have but like most players, always searching for more. Has anyone tried the Selmer solid silver neck, copper, Reference neck or a custom neck on a 5 digit Vi? Curious to hear any thoughts out there. Thanks.....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Replacement neck for Mark VI

I have a 60 Alto and tryed different Neck's but the money donot make the difference, I still use the original neck,,Rocco,,,, I have tryed the ponzol and a silver neck by selmer no difference to Me???

Reply To Post

1. by jschuth
      (10 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks..I suspect I'll find the same. I'm sticking with the original

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, I think that make's the best sense, I guess If I was that proficent of a player I could tell the difference, I love to Golf and am a 3 HC and use the same club's I have had for year's now, I got Friend;s that buy club's like cookie's and still play as bad. lol Rocco

Reply To Post

1. by jschuth
          (10 posts)

18 years ago

Unrelated...but I just purcased a vintage Selmer expandable ligature from the 50's. UN BELIEVABLE!!! It's the most remarkable lig I have ever used and I've been searching for years. My tenor sings even more than ever. Jeff

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

For us who are less knowledgable about equipment, what's an expandable ligature? What expands? What fastens? How does it work?

Reply To Post

3. by jschuth
          (10 posts)

18 years ago

You can find a couple right now on e-bay. It's basically a thin band of metal that interlocks at the ends. You slide it over the mouthpiece and reed. They're tough to find and can run about $80 on e-bay. Selmer made these between the late '20s and '50s

Reply To Post

2. by ClickRec
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

On a recent clubdate there was an old lady standing next to the band. My SBA was on the sax stand while I was playing clarinet. She decided to use my SBA neck as a handrail. No damage, (except to my heart and stomach), and I couldn't get mad because she was about a thousand years old. So I just smiled and asked her not to do that. I got a SuperAction 80 neck for stupid gigs. Cost me $150, but saved me hundreds in Pepcid. I might retire the SBA altogether and only use it on gigs that matter.

Reply To Post