Saxophone Forum

by daragan
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Buzz?

Hey. I having problem with my sound. When i play alone you i can hear the buzzing of the saliva (or something) in my instrument. Of course when i play w/ the band yu can't hear it. It's more noticeable in the middle notes. Low and high notes aren't that bad. Is this b/c of the way i play, the reed or is it suppose to be like that? I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years. I use 2.5 reeds. Should i get harder reeds? Any suggestions? THX

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by moonpioneer
    (17 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Buzz?

the octave key controls a small pad on the neck.. this small pad can leak and cause a hollow airy sound and you lose some intensity and body. dont worry abou the reeds the only thing that could cause air is if its put on wrong or the lig. is in the wrong spot. you might have a leaky key some where with in the body as well. but ya trial and error

Reply To Post

2. by saxs_make_it_happen
    (42 posts)

18 years ago

May be something loose on the horn but I'm jus puttin my 2 cents in im no expert lol. Anytime you here saliva ya gotta suck air in from the mouthpiece to get it out and that gets rid of that annoying problem....for the moment... lol. good luck.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by GzsKerqt
      (77 posts)

18 years ago

our band or rather our section claim the buzzing as saliva in the neck or the mouthpiece

Reply To Post

3. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Harder reeds should help...some. It's also a matter of breath support. Make sure that when you play, you are blowing warm air throught the horn. Also, use you diaphram to push the air through the horn. To practice this, form your mouth as if you are hissing and try to blow for long lengths of time. Tense up you "abs" and blow from your diaphram, not you throat. > Deep breaths! I had this problem a few years ago as a freshman in high school. As my breath support developed, that buzz went away. Do some research on it if your band director doesn't have any more advice on the topic.

Reply To Post

1. by daragan
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Alright thx. I'll try better breathing and maybe get a new reed too...(mines cracked a little)

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

i think it's the saliva

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Drop the saxophone and run! Bees have made a nest in your bell! If you keep playing they might sting! Are you using Vandoren V16's? Try LaVoz mediums.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by highschoolsaxist
        (1 post)

18 years ago

I am having the same problem. I have no idea what to do. I notice it way more when I am playing concert music (opposed to pep band). I have Vandoren reeds. I use 3s should I try the LaVoz, a harder Vandoren or both.

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

18 years ago

I think the best way to get rid of it is by trial and error

Reply To Post