Saxophone Forum

by saxgrobie
(86 posts)
18 years ago

The Infamous Band Trip!

Soooo . . . anyone going anywhere cool this year? My marching band is going to New York in April. That ought to be cool, because we get to see lots of shows and stuff. As far as the reason WHY we're going... I'm not quite sure, ha ha ha. Anyone going somewhere real far, like out of the country for a competition or anything? -Kelsey

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgrobie
    (86 posts)

18 years ago

Re: The Infamous Band Trip!

whoops, sorry I posted twice! I feel dumb now... lol

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

our band goes to Orlando in March 08, my senior year...

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

18 years ago

Our band is going to new york some time around May. We're in this band festival thats there. We do trips every two years.

Reply To Post

2. by Tenor Man
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

our band is gong to disney world the first week in feb. we are goig tomarch in the magic kingdom parade

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Tenor_Guru
      (25 posts)

18 years ago

This year we really aren't going anywhere special, the Reno Jazz festival... But next year! Our first trip will be to the Monterey Jazz festival. Then, in the spring, we're going to England for some sort of festival or something. The Monterey festival is for our school jazz combo, and the England trip is for the jazz band.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Saxamaphone2007
      (11 posts)

18 years ago

That's funny, we're goin to NYC over Spring Break too... That is if more people go. I'm just from a little farm town school, so we don't have a bunch of money to throw around. Cost bumped from 400 to 500 just cause we only got 27 people going... oye vay ~Courtney~

Reply To Post AIM

5. by saxman0317
      (53 posts)

18 years ago

Not sure if im going yet, but im in the last rounds of eleminations for a european touring band... And in years past my jazz band has gone to cleaveland and Boston for Berklee and Tri-C jazz fests

Reply To Post AIM

6. by ameetp
      (14 posts)

18 years ago

My freshman year, we were invited to play in Disney World as a feature. Pretty cool. This year, we went to Indianapolis for Bands of America Grand National Championship. The competition to end all marching band competitions.

Reply To Post

7. by Pressure Drop
      (10 posts)

18 years ago

Uh, our jazz band is going to Japan next year to play the World Expo or something....And we go to Hershey Park in PA every year to play some jazz competition.

Reply To Post

8. by kaplac
      (6 posts)

17 years ago

We're going to disney world this year. And in jazz were going to reno nevada. I'm not sure whats planned for next year though.

Reply To Post

9. by BandGeek92104
      (22 posts)

17 years ago

yea dude...my marching band was invited to play in England but we didn't have enough money to go. So we are goin' to Florida to Disney world for the 3rd time in 5 years! we are a wicked band. And we have a wicked Saxophone Sectionleader...ME!! lol

Reply To Post

10. by Tenor Man
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

We are going to the Rock and Roll hall of fame and cedar point this may

Reply To Post AIM

11. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

18 years ago

My band director always keeps a lid on the location of the trip utill about two months before. BUT, We went to Cocoa Beach last year and it was a blast. We visited Islands of Adventure and Universal in Orland but did other things too. On the way through FL, we stopped by Florida University and did a clinic thing with the director there. All in all, the trip was awesome and we didn't have to march in a parade. WOOT

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Your Band teacher is taking you to Sax Lake, off the coast of Sax Island. There you will swim with the sax fishes.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

Funny....yes I'm laughing....

Reply To Post

2. by Sunyveil
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

our marching band went to magic mountain (a theme park) this year. In '08 we might be going to the Beijing Olympics! THAT would be awesome

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

AND expensive

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
            (312 posts)

18 years ago

no clue where we are going this year.. our director needs to pick a location soon, but he never really tells us where untill he picks.. but he likes to get our imput.. id like to go somewhere north of where i am (maryland).. freshman year - williamsburg VA sophmore year - virginia beach virginia junior year - myrtle beach SC... took home double gold.. lkjsdfljsdf weee this year?? no clue our jazz combo has the oppertunity to go to texas however.. they sent in an audition tape to IAJE or somthing for one of thier conventions and they got accepted.. they arent sure wether or not theyd be able to go yet.. thats awesome tho

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxgrobie
              (86 posts)

18 years ago

Whoa, Texas would be really cool . . . As far as I'm concerned, the farther away, the better! LOL... Sophomore year- The concert band went to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We played in some concert festival and then went to Dollywood. Freshman year- Marching band went to Orlando, Florida to do a parade in Disney World. That was really fun. They gave us fast passes for a whole day for performing, so we didn't have to wait in any lines! Every other year, we alternate concert band trips with marching band trips. As I'm in both, it's not a problem. It's JAZZ band I wish we'd do more stuff in. We just do a bunch of local performances. -Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

18 years ago

we go on trips all the time this year i mean we have jazz festivals but all the bands are going to new york for Lincoln center for jazz and st patricks day parade for marching

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
              (312 posts)

18 years ago

well the way we work it is we choose a festival for both concert and jazz band since both of our bands have a standard that we set, we normally strive to go to the better festivals. ours is like a 4 day trip we dont go to compete tho.. we go to get evaluated.. last year was THE ONLY year that our school has ever entered the competition aspect of the festival. we won everything possible. beat every band. lol the only part we didnt win was some choral competition and thats because we werent entered. that was one of hte best trips weve been on. it felt so good lol. how insane would it be if one of us ended up going to the same festival as someone else on here?? lol id laugh

4. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

well then we should know what schools that other people go to, just in case. Pottsville Area High School

Reply To Post

5. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

well then we should know what schools that other people go to, just in case. Pottsville Area High School

Reply To Post

6. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

darn, double post...

Reply To Post

7. by straightj23
              (103 posts)

18 years ago

I hear ya saxgrobie. All our jazz band does is gigs around the cincinnati area. We never go anywhere. But I kinda understand why. The directors want everyone, not just the jazz band, to have an equal chance. As far as the band as a whole goes, we went to Orlando, Fl last year. It was the bomb. The parks were awesome, marching down Mainstreet USA in the magic kingdom was the best moment in my life by far, and the beach at port canaveral was sweet too. We'll be going to Washington, D.C. next year to march in the Cherry Blossm Parade. Really looking forward to it, but I hear the parade route is LONG.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

18 years ago

cherry blossoms fun if youve never seen it im near DC so now its like ok thats a standard thing

Reply To Post

9. by Skylark
              (27 posts)

18 years ago

our band it too poor to go anywhere cool, we usally go to a camp retreat type thing and pratice for out compatition and hang out for the weekend. sandly, wish our director could get the band to fork up some money.

Reply To Post

10. by YanagisawA-901
              (312 posts)

18 years ago

it is confirmed as of like.. a week ago were going to Toronto lol wtf?

11. by jacobeid
              (24 posts)

18 years ago

Everyone is jazz band is going to Cleveland this March to open for the Cleveland Jazz Orchestra at the Bop Stop. Then the last week of this year, the marching band is going down to disney to march in the main street parade for a week.

Reply To Post

12. by jing24
              (31 posts)

18 years ago

were going to chicago then my junior year disney world

Reply To Post

13. by moonpioneer
              (17 posts)

18 years ago

where r u from? is toronto far from you?

Reply To Post

14. by Grubsax
              (11 posts)

17 years ago

Boston, at first it was Disney but they are resceduling that for next year...

Reply To Post AIM

15. by rachel92491
              (28 posts)

17 years ago

texas isnt so great, trust me i live there

Reply To Post

16. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

17 years ago

Whats wrong with it? Seems pretty fine to me.

Reply To Post AIM

17. by OklahomanSax
              (18 posts)

17 years ago

my band is going to some compitition in FL next week. and then the jazz band is playing in Disney world, if enough of us are eligible. that pises me off, half of our band is ineligible and if they aren't passing by wed afternoon, we're screwed for state, my last year to win. i hate stupid people. but fl should be fun just the same. lol

18. by zadge
              (10 posts)

17 years ago

Our band usually goes on trips every two years, but when we were suppose to go to Disney World, nobody wanted to go, so we didn't go. We should have chosen New York because then I think people would have wanted to go. Anyways, next year we are going to play at the Alamo Bowl.... hopefully.

Reply To Post