Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Questions about my 1931 Conn Sax.

I own a playable Conn alto sax and its serial number is A M248601 L It is nickel plated and in very good condition. 1)My first question is, What is it's approximate value? My sax has an octave key which is under the neck. From what I have read at SaxGourmet.com about the history of Conn Saxes that type of octave key starting in about the 1930's they started putting the octave key under the neck to protect it. I have seen very few pictures of saxes with it under the neck after about 1932. 2)My questions is Why did they move the octave key back on top, if it was better protected? 3)My sax also has a microtuner and I was also wonder why they did away with that. My fourth and final question is regarding the nickel finish. On the SaxGourmet.com value guide for transitional saxes it says that silver was the most common. and if it had a Lacquer finish deduct 10% and add 30% if it was gold plated. 4) Where in that value range does nickel plated fit in. Was nickel plated rare? Thanks it would be great if you guys to answer my questions so I can learn more about my sax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Questions about my 1931 Conn Sax.

As you have so many questions i would go to www.saxpics.com and click on the conn section for your answers. Also for valuation ebay completed section is a good guide line Dave

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

Yes I've been to saxpics.com before it doesnt really fully answer any of the questions tho, especially #2 and #3. I have also been to ebay's completed section and it is alright at answering #1 but I have never noticed a sax with a serial number really close to mine. It would great if i could get the full answers to my from people in this forum.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I believe my Conn Alto is from 1947, and it still has the underslung octave key. I love it. My only guess as to why they discontinued it is aesthetics, which to me would not be a good reason. My daughter didn't like it because it was "different." I find I don't use my microtuner. Once I'm that close, my lip takes over. I'm guessing the expense of the extra parts was the reason for discontinuing that, since it's really not necessary.

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Wow they continued them that long, I had no idea. I agree the underslung octave key works great. All the other saxophonist at my High School are always complaining about their octave keys and I have never had a problem with mine. It's really funny because I go to brand new school and we have Yamaha saxes which are only two years old. Your aesthetical theory is interesting. Does anyone else have a theory? I agree with you about the micro tuner. I don't move it around once I have it set. However I like the idea that I can place it back to exactly the same place every time rather than having to guess approximately where I had it last.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

1 - the saxgourmet value guide is only for perfect, 100% pristine origional horns, with the case in the same condition, and all those papers it came with. Deduct a few hundred bucks. 2 and 3 - the microtuner was removed and the octave lever moved for costs reasons. you can get the same octave sound from the top, and its more common, and cheaper to build. the microtuner isnt really necesarry, if you know how to tune in the first place 4 - nickel plate isnt especially rare - about the same value(maybe a lil under) as silver plate. Enjoy the horn! Jim will probably but in here in a bit, and correct all our mistakes, but I think we got it, lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

You did good, Sax Mom and Definition. As for value, it really depends. On average in excellent condition, $2000, but the market seems to be full of them at the moment. I have a 1934 Conn 6M I am trying to help a friend sell and the offers I have gotten are nowhere close to what it's worth. Good luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by simonknight
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

Take a look at this part of the site for info on the transitionals: www.saxpics.com/conn/transitional.htm This is the beginning of the 6M model design. In 1948 Conn stopped using rolled tone holes. The microtuner went in 1954. I think the underslung 8ve key stayed until the 6M model was replaced. By this time it was not pro quality. During the transitional period some of the horns are closer to the older New Wonder design so have the earlier top 8ve mechanism. www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/conn/new_wonder_transitional/alto/silver/split_lady/26777x_ci_HP.jpg

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

Hi, I have the same Horn Mine I think was a 1932 ser # 25467>> I love the Horn and it is prestine shape , evry spring, pad and felt's have been done. I love it as Much as My 69 Mark 6 , the sound is so mellow , hard to beleive the horn that old can sound so great. the price ? I would say at least 1500. but You will have a hed time trying to replace it? do you like the sound?

Reply To Post