Saxophone Forum

by bcwins124
(12 posts)
18 years ago

pieces for a 9 or 10 piece band

I'm a 9 or 10 piece band and we are looking for something slow that has either a trumpet solo or alto sax solo or even better, both. Even if the piece didn't have any solos, do you have anything in mind? I was thinking along the lines of Shiny Stockings(count basie), I'll Be Around(maynard ferguson), or other songs like those. (All of the members of the group are capable of doing pretty much anything on their instrument!) 1 alto (me) 1 tenor sax 1 trombone 2 trumpets 2 drummers 1 bass guitar 1 piano player Thanks for your responses!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

18 years ago

Re: pieces for a 9 or 10 piece band

What kind of band is this for (high school, college, or just for fun)? There is not much literature for that instrumentation. There are some published octet things but not much. Your best bet is to do the arranging yourself or pay someone to do it. Let me know the skill level of the group. My friends and I have a ton of arrangements for whatever instrumentation the gig called for so I might be able to send you something. (do you have access to finale?) Tracy

Reply To Post

1. by bcwins124
      (12 posts)

18 years ago

All of us are very skilled at what we do. We can handle any slow piece and most fast pieces. We were looking for something either slow or fast that will keep the audience's attention. We're only high schoolers, but we are trying to get this group going as a full time gig.

Reply To Post

1. by jacobeid
        (24 posts)

18 years ago

Always and Forever. The version I have was composed by Pat Metheny. It's really really good. Except the main part is a fluggelhorn (sp?) So I'm not sure how well that would work out.

Reply To Post