Saxophone Forum

by kennyz
(31 posts)
18 years ago

CONN 6M vs CONN6M which is the best??

Hi to everyone, I will to buy a Conn 6M and I've found 2 examples of this beautiful horn, both in excellent conditions. One is a sax of 1935/36 years with rolled toneholes and microtuner neck, the other was made around 1958-59 . i've found many pubblications about the different eras of this models but i don't understand well which is the best in terms of intonation and sound. Someone say that the precedent may have better mechanism and better build in general, the other maybe have better intonation, better sound but not a better keyworks related to the predecessor. I'm a little confused, maybe is the same matter of the Buescher Big B and 400? Two sax of same brand with 2 different personalities but both equally excellents? There a lot of difference between these saxes and those of our days? (I have a Yani 991 with bronze neck and I love it) Thanks to whoever can help to clear me the ideas!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: CONN 6M vs CONN6M which is the best??

I've heard that the Pre-1950 horns were better, but have no personal experience to back that up. Maybe Jim will see this thread and respond. He has several Conn saxophones, and can compare them better than I.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: CONN 6M vs CONN6M which is the best??

The best one is the one on your stand! But seriously, try them and see for yourself which works best for you. Keep in mind that while horns of a certain year may exhibit some similar tendencies, each individual horn will differ. Jim will be able to fill you in on the similar tendencies, as he is ever ready to help and a wealth of info. I will state two things: try it before you buy it, and 6Ms are by and large GREAT horns.

Reply To Post