Saxophone Forum

by bigred
(43 posts)
18 years ago

good unknown players

allright, so i'm gonna ring off some players that you might not know. So look into em, and a comment back on em 1. Chris Potter 2. Gary Smulyan 3. Antonio Hart 4. Greg osby 5. Jimmy Greene 6. Ronnie Cuber 7. Wallace Roney (trumpet)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

Re: good unknown players

Dave Glasser and Gary Gary Smulan are Monster's, I heard MR. Smulan and Dave Glasser last week with the Dizzy Gillespie Band with Paquito D'Rivera, Gary and Dave Glasser were unbeleivable not just as player's but Realy nice Guy's.. Another Plyer You might have trouble getting is Rosario Giuliani on Alto.

Reply To Post

2. by cacho_imechi
    (1 post)

18 years ago

I recently found out about the guy that does the solo in Tank! (Cowboy Bebop intro song) and found this video on google video: video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8167558198174308008&q=masato+honda Hope you enjoy!

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Cool - and the Cowboy Bebop theme is great! Can anyone ID that sax?

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

Thank You for that Video, that was some great singing andf playing, What a classy Alto sound. i will be looking for some cd as soon as I finish this message.

Reply To Post

3. by Peepin728
    (17 posts)

18 years ago

Man, whoever doesn't know Chris Potter has to be living under a rock. Gary Smulyan is my sax teacher up here at William Paterson University. And all of the other players you listed are good as well, but people should know these cats!!! Good post though. -Dave

Reply To Post

4. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

18 years ago

I think chris potter is one of the more popular tenor players today. I think a relatively unknown player is Eric Alexander. You should check it out. As for Gary Smulyan, every bari player i know is a fan of his, because, well... he's the man.

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
      (132 posts)

18 years ago

Chris Potter has recently begun to have gained more popularity, so I'd take him off the list and replace him with Gary Bartz. Gary Bartz is a mad alto/soprano player who has played with the Mingus Big Band, Pharoah Sanders, McCoy Tyner, etc. I had the honour of attending one of his live gigs with Christoph Spendel (Insanely good German pianist). That was a night I would not forget any time soon. I even got Mr. Bartz's autograph at the end of the night! :-) Sean

Reply To Post

1. by Peepin728
        (17 posts)

18 years ago

Eric Alexander is a good player, all tech though. He just played a duo with our director of Jazz Studies Mulgrew Miller up here at William Paterson. He has umbelievable chops, but they might be too sick for his own good, because even in ballads he plays burning 32nd note lines. I'm not saying he's not a good player, because trust me he's a killin' cat. But he just doesn't have any soul! Haha. Well that's my 2 cents. Take care! -Dave

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

18 years ago

Ronnie Cuber has been all over the map as far as performances / recordings; from Eric Clapton, The Eagles and Frank Zappa to Lionel Hampton and Maynard Ferguson. I just got Randy Brecker's "34th N Lex" album a couple months ago. Ronnie has a couple spots open to him on the album. KILLER STUFF!! Just do a Google search and do some scouring. His resume is quite impressive.

Reply To Post

2. by Marty
        (7 posts)

18 years ago

If anyone is in the Chicago area, Chris Potter is playing at the Jazz Showcase this week, Feb. 2nd-5th.

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

18 years ago

nelson hill, check him out on phil wood's , what i like about quincy cd, this time on bari, usually i hear him on alto. also check out his web site you will be suprised to hear the praise he gets from other musicians.

Reply To Post

4. by spifster
        (67 posts)

18 years ago

I just saw Chris Potter at Jazz Showcase yesterday... Holy Cow. Amazing. That's all I can say.

Reply To Post

1. by checkster12
          (2 posts)

18 years ago

LOL, someones been listening to Dave holland's Big Band. Smulyan is dreat, Hart is good, Pottter....words dont describe.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
            (67 posts)

18 years ago

we went to the saturday night show... i am amazed that he had the stamina. we were there for about 4-5 hours listening to his group play, he got better throughout, if that is even possible. we were there until almost one thirty in the morning it was nuts. his keyboard player and drummer were really good too... as was his guitarist... aw screw it they were just awesome in all ways possible.

Reply To Post

1. by bigred
              (43 posts)

18 years ago

actually I first heard smulyan on Joe Lovano Nonet album, and I heard Hart on Roy Hargrove Diamond in the rough. But I do have both Holland Big Band albums though ;)

Reply To Post

2. by definition
              (963 posts)

18 years ago

You guys should look up Shawn Wallace, great player, teaching at Ohio State now

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by GzsKerqt
              (77 posts)

18 years ago

Good unknown players? U guys are humble.... haha... Y hasnt anyone said 'ME'?

Reply To Post