Saxophone Forum

by SaxyDawg89
(12 posts)
18 years ago

Grafton Plastic Alto

Has anyone actually seen or played a Grafton? I'm just curious because i've heard some really crazy stories about them, and the horrors of "attempting" to repair them.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Grafton Plastic Alto

Yes i have seen them and played them. They actually play OK but nothing to write home about but are very brittle and easily cracked especially nowadays as plastic does go brittle (try finding one without the bottom bow re-glued back together ) with time also a nightmare to work on as the screws go into plastic and they can easily strip the thread Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

I have seen one that was lent against a radiator after an afternoon soundcheck , the heating came on and the body bent about 25 degrees. The player was not very happy when he returned in the evening time!!!! Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

My grandmother found one a garage sale many years ago and I played it for a while. I think she only paid about $40 for it. It didn't hold up very well at all and within a couple years, it was thrown in the garbage! We had no idea that it might actually be worth something. It was just a cheap plastic saxophone; little more than a toy, so I didn't really shed any tears when it was thrown in the junk!

Reply To Post Yahoo!