Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Best reed for Rock?

There are loads of reeds specially desighned for Jazz, but whats the best reed for playing rock?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Best reed for Rock?

Stone. :-) Actually, I don't have a good answer. My guess would be that a good jazz reed would also be good for rock.

Reply To Post

1. by bigred
      (43 posts)

18 years ago

dude, JAVA's 3/12 to 4 altissimo like a beast Piece

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I use various set-ups for rock, depending on the type of sound that I want. Are we talking tenor or alto here? Really, the type of reed depends heavily on the mouthpiece. For tenor, I would strongly suggest a metal mouthpiece with a fairly open facing. For alto, I would suggest either a Meyer 5M or an Otto Link Tone Edge 5* or 6*, or possibly even an Otto Link New York metal for an edgy sound. Sometimes metal pieces are a bit too shrill on alto, so choose your metal piece with caution! The NY Otto Links are not too bad though. As for reeds, I would suggest either a Rico Royal or Jazz Select 2.5 or 3, pref. unfiled.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by vinnieatl
      (1 post)

18 years ago

I like Vandoren V16's because they hold up longer than other reeds I've tried.

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
        (48 posts)

18 years ago

iv'e just puchased a V16. Ill try it out and see how good it is. p.s were talkin about alto

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I tried Vandoren V16's and hated them! They seem to soak up spit like a sponge, and then they get soft and don't play or sound worth a crap!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by WillDSpecs
      (9 posts)

18 years ago

I've been playing in a rock band since 2001, and right now my favorite reed is the Rico Jazz Select. I've also tried the Alexander D.C. Superials, but i've yet to find a hardness i like yet (they tend to run a little thick like a vandoren). I showed a tenor buddy of mine the rico's and he was immeadiately impressed. He had been using javas forever, and immeadiately swore them off. So I've been using 4M ricos for a while now, and they're nice and bright, allowing me to cut past the guitars and the other horns (trombone and trumpet). I really like the sound the D.C.s get, but my chops aren't quite up to it yet. So i have to either work up to them or go one thickness down.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by WillDSpecs
        (9 posts)

18 years ago

OH. one more thing. I'm playing a Bari with a hard rubber Meyer (would love a metal one tho). My least favorite reed would be the royals. I always got lost in the mix with them. they're too soft.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Jim: Rico Jazz Selects are great, though I prefer 3.5 for both alto and tenor. And how's THIS for diverse: for R&B or rock I use a Dukoff D7 on tenor, and a Eugene Rousseau Jazz (hr) for alto! It all boils down to what combo works best for YOU. Get to a shop and try as many mpc. / reed combos as you can. That's the best way to find the sound that's in your head. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

18 years ago

BARI plastic reeds are a bit bright (fine for rock), but they are extremely durable and last a very long time.

Reply To Post