Saxophone Forum

by stevenm1955
(12 posts)
18 years ago

Hey ya'll I'm new & glad to be here- What about.....

I live in the Portland Oregon area. I have been spying these pages for a few weeks now & it is a wealth of good info here. I like to talk (write/same huh?) too much- but I'll stay focused. (1) I am making a transition from a flute (18 months)- but an Alto Sax seems like a good transition to me! The fingering makes MORE sense & the octave key is a cool gizmo. I'm a big guy & 50 yo- this is the answer to my mid life crisis! :-) An AS is a good 2nd instrument. It starts 3 steps LOWER than a flute & ends 9 steps lower (AS Eb to flutes high C)- & the volume is 'groovy!!'. Question # 1: Method books or Scales to start? (2) I made the mistake w/ the flute to find instructors whom focused on the method books.... Playing sucky little songs for finger memory. A friend that I have suggested focusing on SCALES, SCALES, SCALES. Particularly the CM Blues scale---- C D# F G Bb C, & to find an instructor ONLY for that purpose. He later went to to say in jams- one needs to know the chords that are playing so I could toot my little notes. I dove into music theory 6 months ago, but I still don't get it. Triads, Dim, Aug, Min, Maj- I could spit out the words sometimes but I don't get it. I'm glad I started w/ the flute- I went counterclockwise around the circle of 5ths. W/ Eb AS- I'm goin the other way!!!! That is SO COOL!!!! That I get, and other little tidbits. Someone have a little guide what I can toot & in what chord? I got 3 decent books- but don't get it. My friend said sometimes that the theory CAME AFTER the Soulful discover of the Blues scale- & the theory was just to explain what the Soul feels. I'm going to make it. (3) I'm having a problem w/ the D & E & the octave key (I blow the lower D & E). It seems defective & the problem inconsistent, but is this a common problem? ALL my other notes seem FINE. (4) I'm renting a Vito (Japan). It is similar to the YAS 23. Craig's list doesn't offer much in the way of local stuff. EBay has a lot of listings. A guy in Ft Lauderdale seems like a reputable guy, but what if he scams me & sells the same YAS 23 to 100 people? Ebay/Paypal already will dispurse funds. Is there a guarantee that I will DEFINITELY get my stuff. He wants $500. It looks SWEET. Well, thanks, all info, links & replies are appreciated by me & countless other folks here. PS- to the prior post of the 49 yo guy who is asking if he is too old for music- the definite answer is NO. This is a WONDERFUL answer to the mid-life crisis problem ;-)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Hey ya'll I'm new & glad to be here- What about.....

Welcome! Lots to talk about here. By way of intro, I've been playing tenor for about 1.25 yrs and guitar for over 40. Click the name for a little more about me, and keep in mind that all this is just my opinion... As a guitarist I am a rhythm guy and was never a fan of practicing scales. But I find them essential in learning my way around the sax, so I'd say your friend is right on that score (except for the part about 'blues scales' - useful, but way over-rated). The main value of a teacher is to keep you on track physically - getting the embouchure right, etc. You really don't want to form bad habits that eventually prevent you from progressing. After that, it's helping you figure out what you need to know and practice to get better at what *you* want to play. If a teacher doesn't talk to you about that in the 1st lesson there's no need for a 2nd - you ain't a schoolkid anymore! ;-) As far as I know, I haven't gotten anywhere near a method book. I like 'studies' (scales, chords, arpeggios, etc.) and real music (ie, material that I want to play). Study books I have and like: * 'Daily Studies for the improvement of the Saxophone Technique' by Larry Teal (MMB Music) * 'Technique of the Saxophone' series by Joseph Viola (Berklee Press) An entirely different book by Larry Teal that I also recommend is 'The Art of Saxophone Playing'. It's the best 'everything you need to know' kick-start for the sax that I've seen. Read it like a book, without even touching your horn... Almost *everything* else depends on what kind of music you want to make, which you didn't say anything about. From your age and attitude, I'm going to assume you're not looking to do the symphonic band thing (or it isn't your top priority, at least), which means pop/rock/jazz. So get an Eb Real Book and dig in! It really should be possible to find a YAS-23 in very good shape for $500...

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Hey ya'll I'm new & glad to be here- What about.....

As to your questions about Ebay, if you pay with your checking account using Paypal, you do have protection so if you don't receive the merchandise, your funds are reimbursed. Read the Paypal information, and you should find that listed.

Reply To Post