Saxophone Forum

by Ebonysolstice
(1 post)
18 years ago

Please Help!!!

Hello,I'm new with sax quest.I've been playing tenor sax for two years and bari for one year.I'm in a jazz program and am in the senior jazz band.Last night at practice we started discussing Mingus....because we're doing "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" and "Moanin' " I'm the bari player and did not know that moanin is basically just a bari feature(well ,at least our arrangement is)and i really need advice on what kind of mouthpiece i should purchase.My birthday is on sat,so i can splurge a bit.The sound i desire is a clear,fat strong baritone sax sound.I am in command and i need to be raunchy throughout all of it.Metal would definately be preferred.I would really like some help...thankyou all so so much!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Please Help!!!

try a nice runyon quantum, rovner light lig, and it should give you a great fat bari sound!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by WillDSpecs
      (9 posts)

18 years ago

I've been looking at a runyon quantum as a possible upgrade. It seems in my price range and i think it will do what i need according to its specs. any idea where i can try one out though? I'm in the NJ/NY area.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

Moanin" was written by Bobby Timmons. Dukoff's are my favorite metal mouthpieces. They are fairly inexpensive and get a great big sound.......Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM