Saxophone Forum

by CountSpatula
(602 posts)
18 years ago

Yanagisawa Metal Mouthpiece

I was lookin' around on woodwind brasswind and found a yanagisawa metal mouthpiece that I'm thinking of trying out, but I have no idea what size I should get. I play on a vandoren java A35 right now so any recomendations on what yanagisawa size I should get would be helpful. Also if anyone cares to give their oppinion on what the mouthpiece is like?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa Metal Mouthpiece

i play on a yani metal for my bari (tip size 7) for my bari and it is great, i wouldnt reccomend it for alto, i dont know which horn your gettingg it for, its a little too bright. but if your going tenor or bari i would go with at least a 7. anything smaller and you cant get the true sound it was meant to make.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

18 years ago

I don't have much experience with Yanagisawa mouthpieces since I don't play on them. However, I recently found out that Masato Honda plays alto with a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece. If you don't know who he is, he was the alto soloist on the theme song for Cowboy Bebop, "Tank". Absolutely magnificent sound and wonderful improvisational techniques. Just thought you might like to know that if you didn't already. Check it out.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

I played a metal Yanigasawa 5 on alto for about 3-4 years or so while I was in graduate school and into my professional life (with a metal 7 on tenor and metal 7 on soprano). They were good pieces, but left something to be desired. I ended up taking a masterclass with Brandon Fields that changed my whole outlook on mouthpieces. The metal Yani's have a square chamber which alters the airstream too much (and the saxophone tube is round). Nowadays I can defintely feel a difference between a round chamber and a non-round chamber mouthpiece. Most of my setups are round chamber (with the exception of my legit alto and tenor setups which are horseshoe chamber). I wrote a two-part article where I address this very issue. You can read it at: www.saxophone.us/sax/sax_mouthpieces_the_working_saxophonist.html Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Old thread... I tried this mouthpiece a while back when I was in Dallas Tx. and I was definitly not impressed...I know who Masato Honda is and I have no idea how he sounds that good, but I do know he also played on a hard rubber mpc before :-) I'm not a very big fan of horseshoe chambers...They seem to play extremely sharp (Ex: Claude Lakey and Bionix Runyon) and a lot of resistance... I found the right mouthpiece for me though, don't plan on changing any time soon hehe. Thanks for the info though :-)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Dark Eyes
        (138 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe it was someone else who played the metal Yani. I could be mistaken because this is usually the case :->

Reply To Post

1. by baridrummer
          (8 posts)

17 years ago

When I tried a metal Yanagisawa on bari, I was amazed to find that it practically doubled my volume, with remarkable clarity. I didn't like the performance on the high range as much, but I'm sure that was something I could adjust to. Still, if I ever buy another mouthpiece (I've been using the versatile Meyer 6* hard rubber), it will be that one.

Reply To Post

2. by allthewoodwinds
        (12 posts)

17 years ago

I've played the Yan 7* and 9* metals, I'm used to the wide openings. The sound is VERY focused and robust. THe Altissimo is easy to hit and the bottom has the power and projection of a bari sax. I switched to a Guy Hawkins metal 9 cause I wanted to scream even louder. Yani's are great, open powerful mouthpieces. A few guys who came over to try out my Yani's when I was selling them, couldn't get a sound or squeaked a lot. Maybe you ought to try a 5. Oh man, don't get me started on Yani mpcs. I might just buy another one on e-Bay or at One Stop

Reply To Post

3. by allthewoodwinds
        (12 posts)

17 years ago

I've played the Yan 7* and 9* metals, I'm used to the wide openings. The sound is VERY focused and robust. THe Altissimo is easy to hit and the bottom has the power and projection of a bari sax. I switched to a Guy Hawkins metal 9 cause I wanted to scream even louder. Yani's are great, open powerful mouthpieces. A few guys who came over to try out my Yani's when I was selling them, couldn't get a sound or squeaked a lot. Maybe you ought to try a 5. Oh man, don't get me started on Yani mpcs. I might just by another one on e-Bay or at One Stop

Reply To Post