Saxophone Forum

by nad1rn
(37 posts)
18 years ago

A Brick Wall...

I started on altissimo a few months ago, but I have encountered a problem. As soon as I get up to altissimo E, it won't come out. The sound just stops. G-D# are prefect, and I can get them out without no problem. I've tried experimenting with different ways to fix it for about 2 weeks, but nothing helps. My lesson guy says that I'm "reaching the limit of my mouthpiece", but i highly doubt it. I play on a Custom Z Alto, C* mouthpiece, and 3.5 alexander superial reeds. Any advice is great... Thankx~ Nadir

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A Brick Wall...

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for in a reply. With a 3.5 reed, you'd think it would be no problem, but I'm not familiar with that brand and how it compares to others. My suggestion would be to try working with some other reeds, and see if it makes other altissimo easier or harder. Can your teacher get the higher notes with his mouthpiece on your horn? Are you biting too hard so that the reed cannot vibrate? Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by Tenor_Guru
    (25 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A Brick Wall...

Personally, I find C*s to be a little too closed. Okay, way too closed. Because it is so closed, you may be btting down too hard and stopping the vibration. Take a look at "Top Tones For Saxophone". It has a load of helful tips and practice methods. It got me all the way up to double altissimo D (I think... Some where up there...).

Reply To Post AIM