Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
18 years ago

Working in a Trio Fashion (Saxophone, Drums, and Bass)

I've been working for the last two years in a quartet/quintet fashion, and I've been thinking of switching to trio just to try something different. Once at a Jam Session I played in trio and I really liked it, I felt that one really has less restrictions and can do more with a chord progression. I just wanted to hear people's opinions on the subject, and by the way, anybody know of any good Trio Cd's?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rumsurfer
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Working in a Trio Fashion (Saxophone, Drums, and Bass)

I would recommend Branford Marsalis' trio work, one that I enjoyed in particular is 'Bloomington'. Also try Greg Osby's trio work. I have his CD 'Channel Three'. Both the Marsalis and Osby CDs have Jeff 'Tain' Watts playing on them. With Branford on tenor and soprano, and Osby on alto, there is another saxophonist in a trio setting that I highly recommend - Fiona Burnett, particularly her latest CD 'Counterpoint'. Fiona plays soprano exclusively, you can find out more about her and her CDs on her website . 'Counterpoint' is on heavy rotation in my CD player at the moment. Fiona's trio is in stark contrast to what you'll hear on Marsalis' and Osby's trio work, you'll see what I mean.

Reply To Post