Saxophone Forum

by kneejerk52
(397 posts)
18 years ago

detarnish old silver

try this after dissassembling the horn; boil enough water to emerse the horn, add 1 cup of baking soda dissolve per gallon, place aluminum foil in water the the horn soak and watch the tarnish dissapear, this is pretty cool it even smell like tarn-x when it's in the water. it saves alot of rubbing, you still need to buff but much less on the old silver horns.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

18 years ago

Re: detarnish old silver

www.fofweb.com/Onfiles/SEOF/Science_Experiments/5-5.pdf#search='removing%20silver%20tarnish this is a VERY good article... www.silversmithing.com/care.htm FROM THE ARTICLE... " Objects cleaned by this method may tarnish more quickly than silver that has been polished, for the object's surface will act like a sponge and more readily absorb tarnish-producing gases and moisture. The solution can also seep into hollow areas such as coffee pot handles, unsoldered spun beads around the tops of lightweight holloware, weighted pieces with minute holes, and any porous attachments. For these reasons, this cleaning technique is not recommended." Personally I use a felt glove and maybe some polishing compound rubbed on the glove to clean off my silver. I "should" follow that up with some kind of wax (like johnsons or renesconnse (spelling)) or I could use some silver cleaning cream that will not only take off the tarnish but will protect the metal for a while afterwords. I have used some cleaning wipes (for kitchens and furnature) however, after reading that article I'm leery of doign that again, or I will wash the metal off very well after using the wipes. however the article is right, and just a light cleaning now and then will go a long ways. So will tarnish strips and other things.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

oh one last thing... silver will react with acid, and in fact loves to react with acid. it also dosen't like bleach... (or is it gold that dosen't like bleach... I'll check)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

sorry for the triple post... I'm bored here. (this was taken from another forum the post was talking about how to remove drillbits broken off into gold or silver) ) Bleach is a chlorine compound (sodium hypochlorite solution) It is used to clean clothing and floors and it is also as a disinfectant. It is also corrosive to metals. It will damage nickel white golds and other metals by what is called stress crack corrosion it creates inter granular corrosion allowing the metal to crack along the crystal boundaries. It probably is dissolving the drill bits by electrolysis. It is a poor choice for this due to its ability to cause the stress crack corrosion. There is an article about this phenomenon at Do Chemicals Effect Your Gold? www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/200502/msg01040.htm ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just thought this was intresting since this whole thread is talking about reactions and stuff.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

18 years ago

please, im not useing this method as a finished method, just a way to remove 80 years of tarnish on a old conn c mel, it would have taken you about 100 gloves to do this. what took me about a week of buffing on the tru tone i did olny took me about two hours of buffing with strips of silver horn cloths.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

sorry, that makes a difference... I was just posting articles because this really isn't a great habbit to get into or a great shortcut to take. Unless a person is in your situation.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

18 years ago

also it olny works if the silver is immersed fully in the water, hard to do if not fully dissasembled. but i agree it's not for everone, but a great shorcut removeing built up tarnish. another thing it will acutally save on rubbing off the silver cause it reacts with the tarnish and changes it with out abrasive cleanser sometimes neede aroung the post where the build up seems to be worst at times.

Reply To Post