Saxophone Forum

by ps
(35 posts)
18 years ago

Pan saxophones

Has anyone heard of PAN saxophones? Supposedly built in Italy. If yes, what can you tell me about them. Do they have a logo on their horns? I consider Saxquest THE authority on everything saxophones, so if anyone can help me, I'm sure someone here can. I'll say thanks in advance. (I don't mean Pan-American). Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Pan saxophones

Interesting, I have never heard of Pan saxophones, but I am familiar with Pan accordians which are Italian made. They are one of the best accordians you can buy. I know this because my dad played accordian and has one, and a Panaramic accordian amp. I've played a few Italian made horns and found them to be quite good; especially the Borgani models that I have tried. The Pan saxophone could possibly be a stencil made by one of the Italian hornmakers for the same company? Just a guess. Hopefully someone here is more familiar with them. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Myron Floren plays a Pan accordion if he is still alive. I have a Dallape which is also Italian. There were some great musicians in the Lawrence Welk orchestra. The song and dance stuff was corny, but the orchestra had top notch musicians. Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by ps
        (35 posts)

18 years ago

I don't know for sure if it is a Pan horn. I was told it was by a gentleman who works in an instrument repair shop. There is a little logo on the bell brace of a person playing a horn of some sort. When the repair person saw this logo, he said it was a Pan. No name on the bell or anywhere else. Thanks for your help. I'll continue my research.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Martin did a stencil horn with a pan player engraved on it , does the sax have bevelled tone holes? Dave

Reply To Post

2. by ps
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

Hi. Bevelled tone holes? No it doesn't. Straight tone holes. I had another look at the little medallion like thing on the bell brace. It looks like a boy or maybe some sort of animal playing a recorder or clarinet type horn. I think Pan was a goat, but I'm not sure about that either. I'm really not up on my Greek mythology. Under him are three letters. I think it says PAN, but I can't be 100% sure because it is quite rusty-yes rusty and scratched. I will try to clean it up so I can tell for sure. When I have an answer, I'll post it. Thanks for all your help.

Reply To Post

3. by ps
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, I should have included this in my last post. I bought this horn off ebay. It was built for a music store in Toronto, Canada. I tried contacting this music store, but they have been out of business for quite some time. The engraving is quite elaborate but the finish is at least half shot. The horn itselt needs an overhaul. So it will likely collect dust until I figure out what to do with it. Thanks again for all your help. If I find out more, I'll post my findings.

Reply To Post

4. by ps
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

Get a load a this. Of all the saxophones in all the music stores in all the world. I walk into this local store(a guitar shop, primarily) and see this saxophone on display. I ask the guy working there what kind of horn it is. He takes it down and hands it to me. Low and behold, it's EXACTLY the same horn that we've been talking about here. Same engraving(kind of a goat-boy playing a recorder or something similar). Same made for such and such music store in Toronto, Canada. I just about fell over when I saw this. Under this picture it says PAN. The owner wanted quite a lot iof money for it(he said $700.00)but I know it was negociable. The horn was in good shape compared to mine. Finish intact, no major dents, keys all worked, but it did need a tune up. So I guess that ends this little mystery. There ARE Pan saxophones out there.

Reply To Post

5. by ps
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to add this. He's also got a silver plated Conn alto# 216XXX with all the tell tale features-near mint condition, and a gold lacquered Conn tenor #172,XXX. So, I'll be going back to try and make a deal on BOTH these horns.

Reply To Post