Saxophone Forum

by rickroz
(3 posts)
21 years ago

new soprano saxophone player?

I am almost 40 years old and played a clarinet for 5 years up to age 15. I haven't touched an instrument since, but I am considering buying a soprano sax which has always been my favorite instrument. Does anyone have any advise for me? Such as where to buy beginner method books for the soprano, what model soprano to buy, if I should just forget about this crazy idea because it's impossible (even with professional instruction), etc. I am considering the Yamaha YSS-475. Thanks for any advice. Rick

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by fatjosh
    (1 post)

21 years ago

Re: new soprano saxophone player?

The soprano is a wonderful horn but it is an extremely difficult first sax. Since you haven't played clarinet since you were 15 you would have lost your embouchure. I would therefore suggest that you start on an alto and then move onto soprano later (if you don't fall in love with the alto beforehand!) The alto is a lot easier to control and it will be easier to develop a good tone on it. Pick up a second hand horn or a decent student model and have a few lessons. Good Luck! Josh

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

21 years ago

Re: new soprano saxophone player?

Ditto. I was thinking exactly the same thing! If you are really adamant about starting out on a soprano sax, a YSS-475 is a good intermediate horn that will allow you to develop your skills. Buy a decent horn, regardless of alto vs. soprano. Saxophones are persnickety. Get a good instructor to get you going and confirm you and your horn are a good combination.

Reply To Post