Saxophone Forum

by Linda
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Air in embouchure?

Hi, I've been playing clarinet for 47 years and for the past 7 years have been trying to learn to play tenor. It took forever to realize that the reason I couldn't play low B flat was because of my embouchure and not the sax. Now my teacher is telling me that I should have a little air in the upper cheek area and in the upper lip. I can do it but my muscles get tired of controlling all of that air - I assume that aspect will improve. My real question is whether or not that is a common characteristic of a jazz embouchure. If I am left to my own "clarinet embouchure" I can barely keep the mouthpiece on the sax because I am so sharp. The air does make a big difference in the sharpness of my pitch. Any thoughts or ideas out there? I would appreciate any input because this is really getting old! Linda

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Air in embouchure?

Ok Jim might be a good person to comment, he was a clarinet player that switched to sax. But I have some experience in Clairnet and Sax. First things first mothpiece placement! Clarinet is much more vertical. as you already know mouthpiece should be going straight up and you should be tounging on the face of teh reed with the tip of your tongue. Keep thouse teeth away from the reed!!!!!!! Sax is not that. The angle of the mothpiece should be level with your mouth, I would even suggest tring to angle it downard. Like you want it to just be an extension of your throat. This will also help with the sharpness. Probaby being casues by reed pressure, also put alot of mouthpiece into your mouth, not to gag or anything but I would say about 3/8 of the facing should be in your mouth. What your tring to do is prevent your lower lip from pushing the reed into your mouthpiece and going sharp. Also alot of mouthpiece premotes less thing in the way of the air flow(teeth,lips) Tounging on Sax is done with the front face of the tounge against the tip/opening. So the front of the tounge near the tip should be closing the air flow, not the tip pressing the reed against the mouthpice like a clarinet. See if that helps. no idea about the cheeks air flow. Maybe your teacher is just tring to get you to loosen up. Remember it's not the Cold Black Angry Stick, it's the lovely, Shiny, Sexy Sax.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Linda
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks - I've not heard those things before so will give it a try! Linda

Reply To Post

1. by Mlenox
        (36 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, I have never heard this air lip puff thing. Just think round and let your lip just be a cushion for the reed to vibrate on. Have fun

Reply To Post