Saxophone Forum

by CountSpatula
(602 posts)
18 years ago

Jupiter Artist Soprano

I'm lookin for a soprano to play on, I plan on switching from Alto to soprano. I have a crappy sopranno from the school but I want my own now. Does anyone know if the Jupiter Aritst Soprano, silver plated with gold keys (Cool looking=D) is good? I looked at it and it looked like it was good, high G, metal tone boosters, supposedly good intonation.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rednecksax
    (24 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Jupiter Artist Soprano

I have a Jupiter Artist Series alto and find it to be a suprisingly decent sounding horn. It has a high f# key and all the bells and whistles. My parents bought it with me (split the bill) in my freshman year and has done very well for me as a senior. It is definately an upgrade from the YAS-23, but it cost just a few hudred dollars less than the YAS-62II. I wish that I had the patience to wait for a few more months to buy the 62, but I am surprisingly impressed by my jupiter. It's intonation is fairly accurate, but it works wonderfully if you have the patience to figure out what notes need a little help. It has about the average action of a student model horn. it is very similar to the YAS-23 in terms of feel and sound, but with improvements in the intonation and overall playability. Altissimo pops right out. great tone throughout the whole range. Verdict: A very good upper middle grade saxophone, but definately not a pro. If you intend on making it your main saxophone (instead of doubling on it), I'd personally spend a little more money on a different make/model. The soprano is famous for having horrible intonation on some of the lower priced models, but more consistent in the higher end known models (Yanagisawa and Kielwerth are common names brought up when talking about great quality sopranos). For cheaper models, I have heard almost nothing but good things abou the antigua and EM Winston lines (SaxMom can vouch for Winstons i believe). In the end, however, the best soprano you can buy is the one that you discover and love. Go to different music stores and try every soprano you can get your hands on. It doesn't matter if you have to drive an hour to get to a store with a great selection if you end up finding the horn that works best for you, regardless of what anyone tells you

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

i havent played the soprano, but i played jupiter altos and baris. i dont know if they were the "artist series", but they were straight silver with some gold. and really overall, they sucked. the action was the worst part. they didnt react well and the keywork was shotty. . and overall the sound was not too impressive. they are good, for beginners, where these factors dont play as big of a role, but if you want something of quality, go selmer or P. Mauriat. i heard the big craze about yanagisawas sopranos, and as big of a yani fan i am, they were not that great, especially for the price.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Darn I got two completely different answers :( I dont plan on making it my main, theres no soprannos in my highschool, I'm already lead alto. I cant afford a professional horn and I really dont plan on playing it a WHOLE lot but some. And the winston sopranos i understand, because thats the kind i borrowed from the school...my high D E and F are like a whole half step off...crazy. I might look into some yanagisawas or keil. horns I've never actually played one of them before. my teacher said the jupiters were good horns so I'm not sure. Anyways thanks for the help :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Funny... The Keilworth I tried in the music store was out of tune between octaves... and my Winston isn't.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

I never see Winstons anymore, but maybe your is a better model? My keys stick, I think it was a cheap $500 one... My teacher told me that I'd be better off probably buying a yamaha soprano. I'm so confused now haha.

Reply To Post AIM