Saxophone Forum

by Stiles B
(101 posts)
18 years ago

Harrison ligatures

I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with Harrison ligatures. While I was working in a music store, Mr Harrison came in to demo some Guardala horns that he was a rep for. While I wasn't that interested with the horns, he also showed me some ligatures that he had made and was distributing. I really liked the openess and tone I got from them and picked two up for my alto and tenor. After some years, my alto ligature broke and I couldn't convince a jeweler to repair it. I also found out that the dear man had passed away and his family had discontinued the business. I currently use a Rovener on my alto but it's just not the same. Thanks for any and all advice---Stiles

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by p-land sax
    (32 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Harrison ligatures

I have the one with X too, and I noticed that the metal is starting to get a little thin around the X. What can I do to slow the process or prevent it from thinning even more. But I don't want to stop using it.

Reply To Post

2. by torsax
    (3 posts)

15 years ago

I had a Harrison-Hurtz ligature which broke after many years. I was (nearly) devastated and I went to a standard Selmer ligature. Subsequently, I found out that Rico is making a copy. I bought one and it's just like the original. Hooray!!

Reply To Post

3. by dgallego
    (27 posts)

13 years ago

I play one from the 70's I would love to get one for tenor, soprano. BTW mine was gold.

Reply To Post

4. by torsax
    (3 posts)

13 years ago

I played the original and it eventually weakened and broke (after many years). I was devastated! However they are now being manufactured by Rico and look--and play--like the originals. Try one and you'll see. Also, I trade charts and I now have over 1200. Steve torontosaxophonequartet.com

Reply To Post

5. by p-land sax
    (32 posts)

18 years ago

I play on a Harrison lig but don't much about them, the one i have is for alto and it has a C on it which i think is the model letter. I found it in a beat-up yas-23 that i bought for marching band. I use the lig with a selmer LT which gives me a nice legit sound on my selmer sa 80. If you want to find another Harrison lig I suggest looking in small music stores that carry used mouthpieces, you just might find what your looking for.

Reply To Post

6. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

18 years ago

what broke on it, and can you post pics? I could maybe fix it up for you, or someone else on here.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Stiles B
      (101 posts)

18 years ago

p-land sax: I have checked everywhere and most everyone has either never heard of them or has no access to the "hidden" supply. I did see them on E-Bay for the un gawdly sum of $450--Ridiculous! chiamac: It was broken right where the band that fits around the body meets with the contact point that holds the reed in place. The metal is extremely thin and had given pause to many jewelers. I have stored the ligature somewhere, so a pic isn't readily available. I thank the both of you for your advice, assistance, and your response. --Stiles--

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

is this like the one with an "X" on one side? and is the metal broken around that X? Let me know, if so (and if you can mail it) I'll be able to solder it back together. Most jewlers maybe didn't want to touch something like that, either because of time, or they were snooty. Most if not all jewelers make bezels, which are at least 26g and small, and WILL melt to a puddle if they aren't careful. I don't see how this would be harder than that. of course it would need to be hardned again, but that's nto a "huge" deal by any means. I'll do it for free if you can get it up to me sometime. If it's really bad the "worst" that could happen is I send it back and/or suggest you find a jewler who has a laser soldering machine. That would do the job, and most small places with one like talking about it anyway, and would more than likely be happy to help you out. (or the very worst would be it's really thin, think paper here... is that I or someone would have to build up the joint a little, but that really isn't a super hard deal. If prongs on rings can be built up, a lig would be cake... but i haven't built up prongs yet=) )

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by p-land sax
        (32 posts)

18 years ago

Wow I didn't think my ligature could possibly worth $450. I did know it worth some money (no more than $100 I thought ) when my lesson teacher said that they stopped making them and were a desirable thing to have. And to think that I got that ligature and a vintage selmer LT mouthpiece from a used horn that I only payed $500.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

I got a vintage florida link with a horn I bought for $350 in high school, as well as a selmer piece and maybe one more, and a decent gig/soft type case. I wouldn't pay $300 for a lig though, unless it was made of gold, but that would only justify the price and I still wouldn't buy it. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

Ya, the one with the "x"---continued

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

yeah. that shouldn't be a problem.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by p-land sax
          (32 posts)

18 years ago

I have the one with the X too. I noticed that the metal around the X is getting a little thin. How can i slow or stop the thinning process. But i don't want to stop using it.

Reply To Post

5. by DavidFreeman
          (11 posts)

15 years ago

I sold mine on eBay.

Reply To Post