Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

tenor mouthpiece setup

I have a good setup for my tenor currently. I currently use a Vandoren Jumbo Java Hard Rubber Mouthpiece (T55 opening, which WWBW says is perfect for Jazz Fusion), a Rovner Dark Ligature, and Vandoren V16 Reeds. The downside of this setup is that I can't get anything below an A (no octave key) to come out, at least at a quiet volume. There are a lot of songs I am playing in Jazz Band that require me to play softly at a low register, but it doesn't work properly with this setup. Any ideas on mouthpieces to try or things I can change? I've tried everything from changing my embrouchre to putting a rubber band around the reed (a personal friend suggested that to me.)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: tenor mouthpiece setup

Hmm could be several things Leak in your horn? Its a JAVA mouthpiece, try a JAVA reed? instead of v16? I have a jumbo java on alto, its kind of hard to play quiet on too. I'm not too familiar with how bright tenor mouthpiece are, but the two tenors in my jazz band plays on a Belmore i believe and the other a RG otto link : www.wwbw.com/Otto-Link-RG-Metal-Tenor-Sax-Mouthpiece-i97752.music I played on it, although I don't play tenor I thought it sounded good. Guardala mouthpieces are expensive but I think they're very good mouthpieces for tenor. But I would make sure there is nothing wrong with your horn first (don't know what type of horn you play on, hopefully not a 500 dollar one). But my advice might not be that good because I don't play on tenor much, so no guarentees my suggestions are the best.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by straightj23
      (103 posts)

18 years ago

Hey CountSpatula. First off, I've tried three different tenors, mine and two school-owned ones. One of those school owned ones is a Selmer Mark IV. It does the same thing on all of them. So, I think it's the mouthpiece. I have java reeds too. No real difference between the V16. I still have the problem. However, I might try that Otto Link Metal idea. Someone tried to sell me a Berg Larsen once, but I didn't have the money. What ligature would I get if I got an Otto Link Metal Mouthpiece? And what tip opening?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

Straightj23, The following things could be at issue: Condition of the horns. Trying three horns where two are school owned instruments isn't all that telling if you consider the condition of some of the instruments schools possess. Embochure. to have troubles on 'A' on down is most alarming. if your equipment is okay you're embochure would have to be a complete wreck to have that much difficulty in that range. Mouthpiece. Low notes are typically easiest and fullest sounding on mouthpieces with longer facings, even rails, with no flat spots in the curve.

Reply To Post

2. by TONY HOLLY
      (10 posts)

18 years ago

It's got nothing to do with your mouthpiece - if you can't get below A with some degree of ease you have something seriously wrong with your horn. Get it looked at.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Nobody knows what is a perfect setup for you except YOU. You kids are getting too shook up over setups, and WWBW is just like a car saleman. Try a an Otto Link New York with a La Voz medium reed. Java is a cup of coffee. Vandoren Traditional reeds are good if you can pick 'em. You don't need a Hot Rod setup. I'm glad that I didn't play in school bands. Too much pressure for you kids. ASK YOUR TEACHER bout it !!!! Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Wow you posted a minute after I did :P Just pointing out... Vandoren Jumbo java=Very bright mouthpiece (plastic) NY Link=Dark mouthpiece. (metal) If you happen to be in a town with a good music store (unlike mine) then you should go there and try out different types of mouthpieces.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

As Terry said, no one knows how you should sound or what tools will make that sound possible but you. I would not suggest changing your embouchure unless something is really wrong with it. The main problem in the lower stack is lack of support (unless there is leak). Work with long tones starting on that A and go down chromatically holding each note as long as you can. Take a big breath from the bottom of your gut (do not move the shoulders) then support by compressing the abs (like your doing a sit up). It will take more "controlled" air to produce lower notes at a soft volume than high notes at a loud volume. As far as your set up goes I don't see anything wrong with it. You might try a few different types and strengths of reeds. Here are a list of brands I use and like. Java Rico jazz select Hemke Alexander D.C I play a 3.5 on all of these for sop, alto, and tenor. Good Luck Tracy

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
            (602 posts)

18 years ago

I'm not a tenor player, I'm not exactly sure what tip opening... It was a girls tenor, mouthpiece, and reed I played on I just remember it was a 2.5 java and a cheap tenor from the school. I'm GUESSING the 108 tip opening with 2.5 but i'm really not sure. I can't convert tip openings from alto to tenor that well. I'd really recommend going to a store near by and trying out their mouthpieces (if they have any), Becuase that mouthpiece might not be what your looking for. But I think it is a good mouthpiece, I played on it and liked it, the teacher recommended it for jazz band, its got 5 star rating. And a school owning a mark VI? thats awsome :D our school has like beginner/intermediate yamahas pretty much.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by JeremyA
            (28 posts)

18 years ago

Speaking of school Mark VIs, I just found out the other day we have a 1967 Mark VI tenor at our school. I had no idea we had it because it was it the shop for a yearand just came back. The repair tech said it was unfixable, but he would gladly buy it for $600. I'm sure the "unfixable" sax would be on ebay in less than a week going for $3000. The repair guy was not completely wrong, it is not in playing condition but the county will cover the cost of an overhaul. The only thing is by the time its fixed I won't be there any more. oh well.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

I'm a relative newbie (playing about 1.5 yrs.), but I've got a Jumbo Java T55 and my guess is that your embouchure may not quite be up to it. It's probably not so much the opening as the long facing. If dropping your reed strength by 0.5 or 1.0 doesn't help, I'd try a slightly smaller opening. I'm hanging on to my Jumbo T55 until I can control it, but for now I really like my regular Java T45 with 2.5 Java reeds. It works for any type of music, and I can get the full range and still have some 'room' for bends and other expression.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
            (602 posts)

18 years ago

Nice Mark, I've never heard of a semi-beginner know that much, and one that plays on something other than a C* soloist mouthpiece. But the one thing I'm not sure about is his embrochure not up to play low notes...The first time I picked up a tenor (from alto) i could go to a low F and E pretty decent...and hes been playing on it longer. Won't a thinner reed make the problem worse? I think if your sound is airy, and you have to honk out low notes to get them out=go down .5 or 1 And theres better mouthpieces than a Jumbo that are easier to control, you just gotta find the right mouthpiece for you. And your set-up is a little small (tip opening + reed) you might consider within the next year or two moving up. I have a Jumbo A45 with 2.5, which converted to Tenor thats a T75. I moved up in about my 2-3rd year, not really sure. Thicker reeds=can play louder, scoop easier, but airy if your embrochure isnt set for it. If it's coming out an octave higher or the reed closes up under high pressure on high notes, go up.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry my paragraphs some how got out of order... I meant to say If you have the problem of airy sound and having to honk out notes or blow hard=Go down reed sizes If the reed sometimes closes up (on high notes) or notes are coming up an octive=Go up a size.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
                (586 posts)

18 years ago

I'll second the Java being a cup of coffee comment. I'll also second the person going down some reed sizes. (but I was the kid in high school who was using a metal link and 3-3.5 reeds) I think I had a bad embture back then. I you could have embature problems, but I doubt that since any person "should" be able to play most notes just find that are in a sax's normal range. By normal I mean low E up to high D - just fine without much problems.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
              (300 posts)

18 years ago

The facing on the T55 is *really* long, and having thought about it a little more it may be that a softer reed will still be too hard/thick that far back from the tip. It might be worth a shot to thin out the shoulder area of a few reeds to see if that helps. In fact I think I'll try that myself some time soon... (p.s.: I appreciate the complement - I just happen to be obsessed with the instrument!)

Reply To Post

1. by kennyj
                (24 posts)

18 years ago

The greatest players in the history of jazz tenor saxophone played on mouthpieces that hardly resemble the Java or Jumbo Java setups that seem popular today. Let us begin with an example -- Dexter Gordon. His mouthpiece of choice was the original Dukoff Hollywood. There was NO baffle in this mouthpiece. It was a wide open chamber. After his Conn was stolen (with his mouthpice) Dexter played Selmer horns with a Tone Master Link. Again, a wide open, no baffle mouthpiece. John Coltrane -- no baffle..... Johnny Griffin -- no baffle..... Wayne Shorter - no baffle..... Coleman Hawkins -- baffles weren't invented...... Sense a pattern? The Java and Jumbo Java have a huge, high wedge baffle that distorts the air column, giving the player an immediate sense of edge, that misleads them. Yeah -- it is an edgey sound. But it is a thin, brittle gutless edgey sound, uneven in the registers of the horn. The wedgey style mouthpieces cause many intonation and response problems as well. I would suggest staying away from them. ii-V=I kenny j
                kennyj

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
                (300 posts)

18 years ago

You're wrong about the Java, Kenny. The Jumbo has a distinct baffle, but 'wide open chamber' are exactly the words I would use to describe my regular Java. There's a slight hump to the top, but I wouldn't even consider calling it a baffle. For whatever it's worth: I know I haven't really learned to control the Jumbo yet, but so far I do prefer the the sound I get from the plain Java...

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
                (602 posts)

18 years ago

Takes a stronger embrocure to control bright mouthpieces, when I first got some of my mouthpieces (Dukoff and Jumbo) i squeeked alot but they're so easy to play on now :) And with a baffle...the gutless stuff, no offense but I love David Sanborn and no way is his sound anything like you described it, and he plays on a dukoff (high baffle, but not as high as jumbo).

Reply To Post AIM

4. by landrusax
                (44 posts)

18 years ago

Coltrane and Shorter where/are know for putting gum and various things in their mouthpieces to create a baffle and give their sound more punch. I know many players that use old links with epoxy and other artificial baffles put in for projection. Baffles cause the air to speed up from the restriction which creates a brighter sound. This is needed in many situations when you need to cut, I don't mean only in funk,and pop situations, but also in the jazz setting.

Reply To Post

5. by blackfrancis
                (396 posts)

18 years ago

Pay attention to Johnson's post. Bloody good advice. As to Coleman Hawkins and the invention of the baffle, check out some photos of him later in his career. It's a Berg. Johnny Griffin was known for "fixing" his mouthpieces. Wedge baffles aren't an evil thing, but you have a good point, Kenny, that if you don't have a good air stream your sound will be thin, brittle etc. So get your horn checked by a competent tech and find a Link with a good facing!

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

18 years ago

Nice Mark, I've never heard of a semi-beginner know that much, and one that plays on something other than a C* soloist mouthpiece. I think you mean the square-chambered C* S80 mpcs, not the horseshoe chambered Soloists. The S80 C*s are the things that so many band instructors the last few decades reverted to almost reflexively when the question of step-up or quality student mouthpieces was presented.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
                (602 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, I lose track of the selmer brand mouthpieces. But yeah everyone at my school has one. And it's fun when one of them try to play on my metal mouthpiece and completely make a fool out of themselves. :) Just out of curiosity, I do use the C* for concert band, is there some other quiet mouthpieces for that stuff too? My super session seems to be a little loud...I dont know just a though.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
                (300 posts)

18 years ago

I've got a #6 Rovner G that's nicely mellow. It was my favorite until I got the T45 Java... I'd say it was perfect for concert band, but I've never actually been in a concert band! ;-)

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
                (767 posts)

18 years ago

But yeah everyone at my school has one. And it's fun when one of them try to play on my metal mouthpiece and completely make a fool out of themselves. :) I imagine the same thing happens when a lot of players used to open peashooters move to a Caravan or AL3. It's all about what you're used to. there are quite a few different "quiet" mouthpieces out there. There's too many places to really begin. In any event, switching to softer reeds should let you play softer on most setups. Playing an alto of .100" tip with hard reeds would be difficult to at p :)

Reply To Post

4. by Mlenox
                (36 posts)

18 years ago

A couple of things: If you are having a problem playing lower notes with ease you should check the rails and tip on your mp. First look at them and see if they have any visible problems. Second, take a non warpped reed put it on the mp and suck the mp on to your hand by putting the circle end in your palm and sucking in where you blow. This should cause the reed to stick against the MP. You should be able to remove your mouth and have the reed remain stuck for a few seconds and then there will be a loud pop as the reed comes loose. If it wont stick to the mp, you have found your problem. Becareful looking at this problem and then looking at Trane and Shorter for advice. I love their sound and gravitate towards them more then other players but when have you ever been blown away by how softly they are playing low notes? They put a lot of air through their horns. (Well some of Shorters recent playing) Practice your overtones on low notes. This should help you develop your range.

Reply To Post

5. by CountSpatula
                (602 posts)

18 years ago

Err, doubt it. Vandoren is well known for making their stuff perfectly accurate and all that, as int he rails should be perfect. Just stay away from the Berg Larsens, Brilharts, Dukoffs, because those have a big reputation but now suck because all the people that made them died. Otto Links have changed too, they tend to be brighter thant he old vintage. Lots of new brands like Brancher, Peter Ponzol, and Yanagisawa are really good mouthpieces. (I've done lots of research :))

Reply To Post AIM

6. by MarkLavelle
                (300 posts)

18 years ago

Count: How would rate the Otto Link New York against the Vandoren V16 (for tenor)? I'm starting to think about a metal piece, but want to stay on the dark side (if you know what I mean)...

Reply To Post

7. by CountSpatula
                (602 posts)

18 years ago

I don't play tenor first off, so my info might not be totally accurate. From what I've heard, V16 metal is warm and dark but when you push hard enough it has some edge to it... People tend to use the otto link metal for fusion because its kind of bright... So my choice would be the v16, and preferably v16 reeds + the optimum vandoren lig with it...that would probably help more. If you were to go with otto link id buy a vintage one... Keep in mind though that metal and plastic can sound the same, it just depends on how they're shapped on the inside. Maybe you live near a good music store that will let you try out different mouthpieces?

Reply To Post AIM