Saxophone Forum

by SFWarrior
(6 posts)
18 years ago

custom instrument cases

I started refinishing vintage saxophone cases using "exotic" vinyls such as ostrich and cobra skin for some friends locally. They seem to think a lot of other musicians would like to own one as well? Could I get some feedback from the field to see if there is an actual interest or not. I totally rebuild the case from the ground up and also do a lot of reinforcing so the case will be better than new and much more durable without changing the appearance. I then finish it with whatever my friends choose. Thanks in advance for some input.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: custom instrument cases

Rebuilding cases sounds like a good thing to me, but the exotic skins might be more expensive than I would be able to justify. Others might be more interested in that than I am.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

Personally, Id rather just go with a nice walt Johnson or hiscox or what have you. very protective and stylish

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SFWarrior
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

I wish I could afford a Walt Johnson @ 8-900 bucks !! My idea is to completely rebuild the case and reinforce it with some aluminum and construction grade materials - without adding too much weight. I then custom fit the horn into the case using high density foam and line the case with a high quality fabric. The exterior is then covered however the customer wants. High end with the best of everything in materials will be less than 500. I have one done in a natural cobra skin pattern and will make some pictures available on 4/8 if your interested in seeing one thats finished. And THANKS for your feedback! This is just some beta testing to see if anyone is interested. I won't be quitting my day job.

Reply To Post

2. by SFWarrior
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

The "exotic skins" are just a custom upholstery grade vinyl. It takes 2 yards for a baritone case @ $41.95 per yard.

Reply To Post