Saxophone Forum

by johnsonfromwisconsin
(767 posts)
18 years ago

Can't play

Well, I haven't been playing the last few weeks, and probably won't the next couple due to some sort of Tendonitis in my left index finger. It's now in a splint for the next week, and hopefully it will clear up. It's been hurting for about Two months. Some days I was able to play, some not. If the rest/splint doesn't work by the end of April, surgury might be necessary. It's sad. I was holding my beautifull Yanagisawa alto the other day, with no intention of trying to play. I just wanted to touch it :sniff: . Reflexively, I brought it to my mouth only to realize my finger couldn't touch the B pearl. Well, this sucks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Can't play

Hey, my friend's dad doesn't have his right arm, and he plays sax anyway. Not to draw sympathy away from you, but having one arm and still having the will to play is a great thing (but he can only play a C-melody which he adapted for himself). Personally, it would destroy me if I had a dehabilitating injury which would prevent me from playing. If you're determined, you can play without feeling the pain of the tendonitis, but only if you immerse yourself in the music. Play with soul. Play like you have an injury, and you want people to know you do through your playing. MUCH, MUCH SYMPATHY saxjunkie

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh, and much, much hope, too, that your potential surgery goes okay.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

Well, I'm not going to play. Playing through this sort of pain is usually not a good idea given the prescription. I'll patiently wait for this to clear up. :)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

"I'll patiently wait for this to clear up." that's about the only thing you can do. Along with getting better keyboards and NOT using a trackpad on a laptop (which did it for me). just take it easy for a while, things should start to clear up.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Bummer... Do you know whether playing is the source of the problem?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

Nope, I type a whole lot more than I play.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that Johnson, and I wish you the best of luck. I was in a bad accident about 6 years ago and I broke my left arm. The couple months that I couldn't play my horns was pure torture! I hope everything works out for you my friend. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks guys. :)

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

18 years ago

well, the finger is much better now. I left it in a splint for most of the week. Yippee!

Reply To Post

3. by Stiles B
            (101 posts)

18 years ago

Do you think it was related to carpel tunnel in any way? From what I understand that is an inflamation of the tendons of the wrist and hand that sometimes requires an operation (which is something I presume you would like to avoid). You have my best wishes. By the way, johnsonfromwisconsin, that's a great handle

Reply To Post