Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniacx
(16 posts)
18 years ago

Soprano Sax

Hey I am an 8th grader at my school and I been playing the alto in the school for 4 years. I really like the alto and i also play the tenor in my schools jazz band. I always been wanting to play the soprano. The reason why i could never play itwas because we didn't need it in the school band and in the jazz band. Over the summer i want to rent one and try. I was wonders Is the soprano hard to play and if so why?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax

Its not hard. I would say that it is different. I know that's a stupid answer but for me that was the case. Get a teacher - one that plays soprano often enough to know what they are talking about. Other than that, don't be afraid of the tone that you might get from the horn. ;)

Reply To Post

2. by p-land sax
    (32 posts)

18 years ago

Its not hard to play the soprano, its just like playing any other sax. But it will take a little while to develop your tone, and get your air stream under control because the first time you play that thing you'll over blow.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

unless you're like me, (I adapted to soprano instantly), you'll need a tighter embouchure (I forget how to spell it, sorry) than you would have for alto or tenor. I have to change it every day. I play bari at school, and then soprano at home. I think it's good that more and more people are being interested in more saxes than just the alto or tenor. I mean, you can focus on any sax you want, but it would be good to have experience of others under your belt, too.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Actually, the soprano can be more difficult than alto, tenor, or bari, because it is more difficult to control the intonation. I believe it's better to learn on an alto or tenor, unless you already have a well-developed ear.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

I would like to add that the quality of sopranos varies widely as well. For me personally I prefer curved sops for sound and intonation (something about having that bell pointing up at me provides a mental advantage in regards to pitch). I used to have an old, old Beuscher curved soprano that had a huge alto-like tone. Yanigisawas are another fine curved soprano. Be careful what brand you try; the quality of some are terrible.

Reply To Post

2. by ijbury
          (1 post)

18 years ago

I've been in jazz and pep band since I started high school and am interested in playing soprano. I have one sighted. Anyone have any input on the brand Jean Baptiste?

Reply To Post

3. by SAX52889
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

I picked up soprano instantly as well.. It is "suppose" to be way harder to play. The guys at the music dealership dropped their jaws last year when i played it and they found out that it was the first i've ever touched one.. This year for Christmas i got the raven model Cannonball.. It's an extremely nice horn and i recommend their sopranos. Stock mouthpiece is alright but this year i plan on changing.

Reply To Post

4. by SAX52889
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

I picked up soprano instantly as well.. It is "suppose" to be way harder to play. The guys at the music dealership dropped their jaws last year when i played it and they found out that it was the first i've ever touched one.. This year for Christmas i got the raven model Cannonball.. It's an extremely nice horn and i recommend their sopranos. Stock mouthpiece is alright but this year i plan on changing.

Reply To Post

5. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

although some people here may disagree, I would recommend the Selmer S80 C* piece. It is very easy blowing from high F# to low Bb.

Reply To Post

6. by SAX52889
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah i've heard people play on them that sound oustanding. My teacher bought a 12 dollar mouthpiece from the music store also that would put that selmer one to shame. It may have been the Esprit brand, or it may have been a mistake by the store. One of the first other mouthpieces i will try will probably be a Dukoff

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

And $12 dollar mouthpieces? Give me a break! I could make you something out of a toilet paper roll that would probably play better than a $12 mouthpiece made in China.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Selmer S80 C* is the absolute worst damn mouthpiece ever invented! If you want your horn to project like it has socks stuffed in the bell and intonation problems up the ying yang, buy your damn C*. If you want a nice, balanced soprano sound with good intonation, but the Meyer 5M Ebonite mouthpiece.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

easy there jim :p selmer mouthpieces arn't THAT bad, depends on what your playing. I heard the selmers arnt that good on conns but not sure. But I see where the selmer mpc is going because soprannos are loud and bright...my friend uses a crappy 15 dollar Rico Royal mpc on his sopranno and i can hear him over the whole band... But meyers are probably better :)

Reply To Post AIM

10. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

They ARE that bad! Did you know that one of the chief engineers in product developement for Selmer left over a disagreement regarding the square chamber mouthpiece and its design flaws? Because he tried to convince Selmer that the square chamber design violated every acoustical principal known to man! They should be discontinued and pulled off the market! A C* tip is too closed and too restrictive for a player with any experience. The C* was designed as a beginner mouthpiece for people who are still learning and developing their embrochure. Even most legit players prefer a mouthpiece with a more open tip. Even that $15 Rico Royal is a MUCH better mouthpiece than the Selmer S80 C*

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Nope, never knew that haha. I use my super session mouthpiece over my C* " The C* was designed as a beginner mouthpiece for people who are still learning and developing their embrochure." Which is why they're so popular... our school has like 25 saxophones join every year and our school isnt that big, and all the fat band directors start them out on it haha. (atleast in texas 90% of them are fat...:)) But I don't look at rico royal mouthpieces as very good either...

Reply To Post AIM

12. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpieces are actually quite good. I use one on Baritone, and I have also used them on tenor and alto. They out-perform many mouthpieces that are considerably more expensive. I think many people knock them without even trying them because of the price. I really like them especially for tenor and baritone. They have a gutsy tone and play very well.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

13. by SAX52889
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

That may be the mouthpiece my teacher had too. I just know that his tone is a lot thicker than mine. Of course he's been playing for a long time and is at the professional level. That could explain a little. I like my Beechler diamond inlay on my alto. Plays soo loud :)

Reply To Post

14. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Beechlers are pretty good especially for lead alto, I dont think they make them on soprano though=(

Reply To Post AIM