Saxophone Forum

by ChuChuTrain
(2 posts)
18 years ago

My new sax....please tell me about it

Hello, I am new to the forum and slightly new to the saxophone world. Today I was with my grandparents at an antique store......I spotted a beautiful horn sitting on the floor with it's case open. I loved how it look so i decided to buy it.....got the whole deal for an astonishing $80! Of course before I got it, I inspected it to make sure it would actually WORK. It is a C. G. Conn When I got home, I looked at it some more.........very, very fancy engraving on the bell. On the back of the horn(near the right triggers) is the serial and model numbers...it is written: PATD DEC 8 1914 1119958 A M217756 L Now, keep in mind I am not really familiar with vintage horns....I just get them, well, because I just like them! No dents or dings in the entire horn.....all keys are in tact (looks like original padding). The keys look like mother-of-pearl. Has a microtuner on the neck. The neck fits perfectly in the horn, the screw thing adjusts just right. Very minor wearing one the horn for how old it is. Pretty sure it is the Chu-Berry. I would please like to know what the history is, what the numbers on the back mean, and an estimated value.....If someone could PLEASE tell me, I would ammencely appreciate it!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: My new sax....please tell me about it

Very envious on your wonderful purchase!!! I agree it's probably a ChuBerry, but I'll let ConnSaxMan_Jim tell you all about it.

Reply To Post

1. by ChuChuTrain
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Well then, ConnSaxMan_Jim.....PLEASE tell me!!! Im really interested in knowing about this beauty.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Well, it is in fact a Chu Berry or New Wonder Series II. Your saxophone was made in 1928, which was one of the best years for the New Wonder Series II. Your alto has rolled tone holes, the "nail file" G# key, split bell keys (low B and Bb keys on opposite sides of the bell) and a microtuner neck. Most of these horns were silver plated. The December 1914 patent date is for the rolled tone holes. The A is for alto, and the L indicates that the horn is low pitch (A=440) which is the tuning standard that is used today. There were several different variations of the New Wonder Series II or Chu Berry. Actually, Chu Berry was a famous saxophone player during the mid 1920's through the 1930's. The horn that Leon "Chu" Berry played was actually a transitional model tenor. The transitional model horns were made between 1929 and 1933, and had features of both the New Wonder Series II and the later 6M alto or 10M tenor. There were many elaborate engravings featured on the New Wonder Series II horns. There was an art decco style, a floral engraving, and a lady portrait engraving. The Artist and Virtuoso deluxe models were often gold plated. Some also featured pearl key touches for EVERY key, including the spatula keys. The value of these horns varies highly depending on the finish (gold, silver, relacquered, etc.) and the condition. A common Silver plated horn in good condition will easily bring $1200 or more. A gold plated Virtuoso Deluxe model with a detailed portrait engraving in mint condition might bring $4000 or more! In any case, $80 is a STEAL!!! Congratulations on owning a fine horn!!! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!