Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

Bari Sax Feature

Okay. Here's the story. I have the opportunity of choosing a song that I would like to play in jazz band next year. It's something that every senior in the jazz band has the opportunity to do. Anyway, I did have my choice made. The song was called Count Bubba's Revenge by Gordon Goodwin and it's a very cool song. It's a jazz shuffle that features solos for tenor (me) and the bari sax. It also features every section individually at some point in the tune. Anyway, it got a new CD of Gordon Goodwin's songs and have made a new decision. It's called A Game of Inches by the same composer. It's supposed to come out on print next year. It features the tenor in three long solo spots. It's improv, but I can handle it. Anyway, the reason I had picked Count Bubba's Revenge before was because of the opportunity for the bari to have the solo, and it would have been a great one. Anyway, if I change my choice to A Game of Inches, the bari will be left out in the cold. But, the good news is that the bari will also be a senior next year so he will have the opportunity to choose a song for himself. So, this leads me to my question. Does anyone know of any good baritone saxophone features out there? Have any of your bands (high school, college, any) played anything that features the baritone sax really well?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rebav
    (9 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Bari Sax Feature

It kind of depends on what you're looking for. I'm a bari player myself and ran into the same issue. Try doing a search engine on like "bari sax features" and see what comes up. Are they looking for a feature, or just something to have lots of fun on. If they're looking for a feature, one of the best ones I know is the old Duke Ellington chart Sophisticated Lady. I can't remember who arranged it, but there's a bari feature one out there, I know because I played it. If you're just looking for one that has some sweet bari licks(any bari lick is though) check out Attitude Dance or Funkalicious. Funkalicious starts on a sweet bari line and the bari has random feature sections thoughout and the solo opportunities are tremendous.

Reply To Post

2. by SAX52889
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

You could always find a pretty cool alto/tenor feature in a swing style and transpose it for bari.. It would probably sound freakin awesome if it was a laid back/medium swing. Just a thought

Reply To Post

1. by straightj23
      (103 posts)

18 years ago

Now that you mention it, I witnessed the very same thing at a jazz festival a few months ago. In a song called "Fables of Faubus", the bari has solo time, but they gave the bari the alto and tenor solo time also. It was all improv. Not only was it genious, it was SWEET. But, I don't know. I told my director about that, and he actually doesn't support improv. Not that he hates it, but he's willing to pick easier songs just to accomodate people that can't, or, people who aren't willing to take the time to learn how to improvise. "A Game of Inches" is very difficult, but not impossible to play, especially for the jazz band I'm in.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SAX52889
        (12 posts)

18 years ago

In a case like that you, the director, or someone else could write out a solo for the designated soloist. And if its a person that is startin out, Blues scale is best friend!

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

Moanin' by Charles Mingus. Ronnie Cuber played it in the Mingus Band and it is the greatest bari feature ever written.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SAX52889
        (12 posts)

18 years ago

Thats a nice song i like it. Double time it and turn it into bebop!

Reply To Post

2. by straightj23
        (103 posts)

18 years ago

Do you mean "Moanin' Mambo"?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by straightj23
          (103 posts)

18 years ago

Never mind. I found it. Is there a recording of "Moanin" anywhere?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

18 years ago

Mingus Big Band 93. Nostalgia in Time Square has the best recording on it. Moanin mambo is the same tune slightly changed

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

beat me to it. and there is a basic cut for it on mingus' "Blues and Roots CD. I have the more aggressive cut to, if you want either one straightj, send me an email I'll send em to ya

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by straightj23
            (103 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, you can send them. My email address is [email protected]

Reply To Post Yahoo!