Saxophone Forum

by Midniteal
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Help for an old amatuer

Hello, I played alto sax as a kid. Worked my way from beginners band to lead sax in a very good high school band in less than two years and also played my buescher alto in a dance band by the time I was in the seventh grade. So guess I had some aptitude. Unfortunately I had to give up band just when I was making strides due to circumstances beyond my control. I wound up with a career in computer systems but never lost my love for music and the sax. I've recently been exposed to a group that has an incredibly good saxophonist. This guy plays alto, soprano, and tenor, but mostly tenor. And plays them all very well. Recently he purchased a new Cannonball Stone Series Big Bell tenor. The sound from this horn just blew me away. I'd never heard a tenor with such a rich mellow sound. I'm retired but for some time I've been interested in getting back into music with focus on the tenor. I have a few bucks to spend but am not sure I can justify a Cannonball, not knowing how far I'll get in this adventure. I've read some favorable comments in this forum about Antigua Woodwinds. I've located a tenor by them, the Power Bell A551-LQ at www.kesslermusic.com for 1300 bucks. Financially, this is within my reach. I have two questions: 1) Is this Antigua capable of sound anything like the Cannonball (assuming an accomplished user)? 2) Beyond the size considerations, is a tenor harder/easer than Alto to play? Most every one who appends this forum is very experienced and hope this isn't a misplaced append. Thanks in advance for any input.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Help for an old amatuer

1) yes! with a good setup and practice, it will be easy 2) not in the least. I also play soprano, alto, tenor, plus bari and bass

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

1) The sound generally comes from the player and his/her interface with his equipment. Antiguas are fairly well thought of as budget instruments and should get you well on your way. Practice is the foremost aspect of developing a sound, or more importantly, YOUR sound. 2) Tenor is just a bit different. It takes some getting used to, usually a few days to a week or two for accomplished players. As someone starting all over, you could probably go alto or tenor with no difference. Congratulations on comming back, I too took a hiatus getting my comp sci education and career going.

Reply To Post

1. by Midniteal
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for your posts. I kind of expected the answer that I'd have to develop my own tone. Do either of you think the "Power Bell" model of the Antigua is capable of a deeper, richer tone? Or is this a marketing gimmic, based on the attention CB Big Bells are getting? (the CB's really do have an improved tone to my ear). My initial objective is to eventually play contemporary as well as traditional Christian music. Generally, I'm not into jass or rock. Thanks again, Charley

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

I've never played an Antigua Powerbell or Cannonball. Generally, for deep and rich, another path to consider is Vintage Buescher. Keep in mind, you are starting all over again. The final tone-quest is a long way off for you.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Your best bet is a Yamaha tenor, either the less expensive 475 or the bottom of the pro line Yamaha 62ll tenor. You are retired and either of these horns won't cost you as much as a good set of Golf clubs. Don't try to save money by buying some cheap unplayable instrument. Forget Vintage and the Antigua. The cannonball is OK but a bit over priced for what they are..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, there are some great vintage horns out there, you shouldn't write them off.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Vintage is not for everybody. I play an old Mark Vl but wouldn't reccomend it for an amatuer. These old vintage horns should be played and taken care of by people who know what they are doing. It drives me crazy to see a 15 year old kid playing a Mark Vl in marching band, or someone leaving one out on a sax stand overnight because they are too lazy to put the horn away.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Beware the Cannonball and Antigua horns. I have seen a Cannonball start breaking down. My Selmer (now 45 years old) never had the problems I saw here. Get a student model Yamaha or a vintage Buescher or Conn and have something of value to trade in when and if you want to trade up. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Midniteal
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you for your reply, but I wound up purchasing an Antigua Alto some time ago. I certainly hope it doesn't break up on me. I've had it about 5 months now and no problems so far. My music instructor is very high on it. He rates it somewhere between an intermediate and low end professional horn. This is alleged to be computer copy of a Selmer Super 80. My technician says that appears to be true. Fortunately, I did get an exceptional deal on it from Kessler Muic ($700). So if I traade up someday I won't get killed (not so with Cannonball). I have generally learned to read music again and am now performing exercises in Rubank intermeidate book. It's been pretty challenging but am making some progress. Thanks again

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

17 years ago

I remember the Rubank books! Hope you can learn to like practice. When I was a kid, I'd egg my teacher into playing jazz with me in my later lessons, rather than real work. Sounds like you got a good deal on a horn. With todays automated machinery, it's possible to get a quality built horn cheaper than the older hand-assembled models, I guess. Good Luck

Reply To Post