Saxophone Forum

by DaveUK1965
(14 posts)
18 years ago

Resoldering posts

Damn ! - just bought a 1933 Sioma baritone (a Conn copy) and whilst cleaning it up (it's in pretty sad condition, but not bad for a bari) one of the soldered posts - a key guide for the b flat side key - fell off. Do I resolder it or will it have to be brazed back on ? Cheers all Dave

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxHog
    (28 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Resoldering posts

You would soft solder the post to the body. You usually never braze or silver solder to the body unless it has a rib to which you would braze the post too then soft solder the rib to the body. The brass on the body tube is thin an might be damaged by the heat required to silver solder/braze.

Reply To Post

1. by DaveUK1965
      (14 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks kindly for the quick reply ! It's a 30's baritone with thin walls, so good job I didn't go mad with the flaming torch and welding rod !!!! Best regards Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

Nice easy job just dont over do the flame, just gentle heat and you will soon see the solder flow just dont add too much solder and you should be able to do a near invisible repair Dave

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Any one of the many Micro Butane style torches available today for the Hobbyist will work best for this job. (I'm not sure what models are available in the U.K., Dave Dix will be able to guide you there.) You will be able to better control the heat distribution to the post site only, and avoid any possible de-soldering of surrounding fixtures. I use mine for this purpose all the time when restoring/repairing horns. Best of luck.

Reply To Post

2. by DaveUK1965
          (14 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks very much, saxis ! - The job'll get done this weekend - so ! Fingers crossed !!! Incidentally, modern bari stands (even non low A ones) are about as much use for a 30's bari as ashtrays on a motorcycle.... out with the toolkit, mutter mumble... ;-)

Reply To Post

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

The trick is to move the torch around to gentle heat and if any posts are close a strip of damp cloth will help to keep it a bit cooler if your worried Dave

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Dave, Yes I know what you mean about the Bari stands. I prefer the sound of Baritones to low B flat, so most of mine save one don't have the low A. Consequently I find I have to move the lower support "U" shaped arm up quite a bit to properly support the horns. Best of luck on your repair job. Once you become comfortable and somewhat confident in tackling these types of repairs, you will loath taking your horns to be worked on by anyone else!

Reply To Post

5. by DaveUK1965
          (14 posts)

18 years ago

;-) Spend some time with a drill this morning and the sax has a new home. ;-) Thanks for the kind words about the resolder job - cheers, Saxis ! I've been bitten by the bug and do my own repairs - totally replaced the corks on a 22 New Wonder a few weeks back. Half the fun of having a vintage sax or three !!!

Reply To Post