Saxophone Forum

by squibcake
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Bari Solos

Does anyone have any favorite baritone players/solos they can suggest? I just picked up a bari after years playing on alto and tenor, and I would like to find some good solos to listen to. In particular, I'm looking for suggestions for hard-bop, funk, and afro-beat solos.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Bari Solos

check out ronnie cuber. in particular, his stuff with the mingus band: moanin'. also, maynard ferguson has always had great bari players, except for right now, i saw them a couple months ago, and they dont have a bari player currently. also, gerry mulligan. overall i dont dig his style as much, but he is really good

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Hi squibcake, My favorite players are Pepper Adams /Hard Bop, and Mike Terry /Detroit Soul/Motown. The Motown sound was a big part of my life. I hope that you have a chance to listen to those guys :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Sax Mom, wherever you are :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

The Bari player in the dirty Dozen Brass Band is also well worth a look. He has a lot of nice grooves

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

18 years ago

there was a guy named Jay Cammoran, not sure of the spelling. he was a pretty good bari player in the 70's

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

18 years ago

it's spelled Jay cameron, check him out he's still around.

Reply To Post

3. by straightj23
      (103 posts)

18 years ago

not sure if he is the guy you're looking for, but give Gerry Mulligan a try. A lot of his solos are available transcribed in solo books at music stores.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Conclave
        (45 posts)

18 years ago

Joe Temperly and Gary Smulyan are great bari players. Give them a listen

Reply To Post