Saxophone Forum

by SoulDoubt
(1 post)
18 years ago

Can you help me?

Hi everyone, new to this site. I am really interested in learning sax, however I am not sure which type. If anyone listens to Candy Dulfer or has seen the movies "Eddie and the Cruisers" that is exactly the sound/type of sax I would love to learn how to play. The music is so beautiful that I would love to wrap myself up into a sax and learn it! Can you help me figure out which type? Is it tenor sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Can you help me?

If you listen to candy dulfer then you should be ashamed!! She has a picture of herself with an alto saxophone on the cover on most of them!!! Although maybe you dont know what they look like. But yes, thats an Alto saxophone with a nice bright sound. Tenor sax is lower (John Coltrane and Dexter Gordon is a famous tenor player if you want to look him up). Just know it could be a very long time before you can play like that. Not something you can learn in a year or two :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Why would anyone be ashamed to listen to Candy Dulfer? Listen to Lily Was Here, or her version of Pick Up The Pieces. Candy is not only a fantstic player, but she has a great personality and a passion for music that is obvious in every note that she plays. Just the fact that you would make the comment shows how very little you know! Candy plays both alto and tenor, although most often she plays alto. John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band performed the music for both Eddie and the Cruisers soundtracks. The saxophonist was Michael "Tunes" Antunes. Tunes plays a Selmer Mark VI tenor. "Just know it could be a very long time before you can play like that. Not something you can learn in a year or two :)" DUH!!! I think most people realize that!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Haha, i was refering to being ashamed the fact that she has an alto on her cover of her album! And yeah was just making sure he wasn't thinking he could just pick up the sax and learn to play. Never know :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

No one should be ashamed to admit what he or she does not know. The original post revealed a desire to learn something about which he/she expressed he/she knew nothing. People who do not yet play saxophone do not know the difference by looking at them or by hearing them. Many do not even desire to know what instrument they hear. I am proud of Souldoubt for his/her desire to pursue the music which is so inspiring, and for asking the questions to learn. CountSpatula, you are the one who should be ashamed for ridiculing anyone who seeks answers and asks questions in order to find them. Please apologize.

Reply To Post

2. by Practice,practice,practice!!!
          (14 posts)

17 years ago

Friend CountSpatula, our ignorance is the blood that keeps this forum alive.The only thing that i'm sure at 100% is that no one in this forum knows everything about the sax universe. And why someone have to feel ashamed by listen to some music?.Maybe this person has get a feeling listening to this song that you will never get listening to the greatest musicians in the world.Never know. All my respects for everybody in this forum. Best regards.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

First find a private teacher that you get along with well and let him help you get started. You can not self-teach the saxophone, IMHO. Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
          (132 posts)

17 years ago

Hey Count, its EASY to get types of saxes confused when you don't know, its not obvious to every one. heres a list of things that newbies have called my black tenor Bass clarinet, soprano, alto, baritone, trombone trumpet flute, flugel, french horn, oboe clarinet. Its not obvious to everyone, so its not shameful not to know stuff, as sax mom mentioned. Just be a little more considerate, no disrespect. Seano

Reply To Post