Saxophone Forum

by saxplaya81
(110 posts)
18 years ago

Saxophone Effects

I get asked by students a lot how to do the cool sounds and special effects on the saxophone. One of the most common ones is how to do the david sanborn/ michael breaker screaming altissimo. The technique is called multiphonics, or playing more than one note at a time. So here you go. for the first one What you do is you finger a middle E and you add the low C key this is one of the easier ones The pitch will be an A 8va. The next one M2 you finger middle F and add the low C key Pitch is Bb 8va, M3 Middle F# low C key pitch is B. M4 middle G low C key Pitch is a C. Practice doing these as long tones til you get to where you can control them.....Have Fun!!!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Saxophone Effects

That's an awful confusing way to go about screaming out a high note...it doesn't necessarily have to be the in-depth multiphonics you're talking about, and multiphonics are always different from horn to horn. The way I've always gone about this is just what you called it. Screaming. When you play a high note, it's almost like you're humming another note. You just open your throat up and try to scream while you're playing(but don't really scream), and you'll get that raspy screaming type of effect. Some other effects you could try are growling, flutter tounge, or that thing Dexter Gordon does on chromatics, where you pretty much bang on the rh side keys. You just go from say A to Bb to B while you rythmically hit your side keys. It's kind of hard to describe in words, I think you'd have to hear it. If I had the setup right now, I'd record it and post it here, but my laptop's built in mic makes my sax sounds like an agitated goose...

Reply To Post

1. by saxplaya81
      (110 posts)

18 years ago

I know what you are talking about, but in the beginning i said what my students refer to as screaming, then i said its actually called multiphonics. Screaming, growling, (humming) are completely different from multiphonics, (you dont need to hum), multiphonics is playing 2 notes at the same time, when you growl you're only playing that 1 note but making it sound raspy. Im not gonna retype the entire previous post on how to play multiphonics. So go back and read the first 1, bust out your horn and try to play it, when u get it down, then play and altissimo or high A and growl it and you will see the difference. A good example of multi phonics is arc of the pendulum by michael brecker on his time is of the essence cd, its like the first track

Reply To Post

1. by saxplaya81
        (110 posts)

18 years ago

www.geocities.com/saxplaya81/scream.wav www.geocities.com/saxplaya81/multiphonic.wav Ok i took the liberty if figurin out how i can record my self playin to prove my point especially to the people who like to reply to posts to try and make them selves look smarter than they actually are. Here you will hear the difference between the scream and multiphonic.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

I don't think you understood my post...I know there is a difference between screaming and multiphonics. What I was saying, is that it seemed like your students were asking about screaming, and you told them how to do multiphonics, which is why I described screaming, not multiphonics. Also, growling and the humming thing are two different techniques. Growling is using the top back of your mouth almost like a gurgling type technique, and you get a growl. The humming or screaming is something you would do in high notes. I kind of get the sense that you just skimmed through my post and jumped the gun on me. ; )

Reply To Post

2. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

i dont think you understood my post either and im not gonna explain to you what my students are asking of me, the whole point in the first place is to share some tips, not to provide a means for people like you to start an argument and try and show everybody how smart they are. Thats why I hate these things.

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

If you think that my puropse behind posting in the thread is to try to make myself look smart, then you are entirely to cynical for your own good. I post here to interact with others who share a similar interest(saxophone?), not to argue, and not to talk down to others, and not to talk to bitter people like yourself. You have students? Based on what I've seen from you in this and another thread, I have a hard time believing you could be a very good teacher. No matter how much you know, you have to be kind and nurturing, or no one is going to want to go through the learning process. What was the purpose of your last post? Just wondering? To get the last word? To make me look stupid? There was no information of valuable input, just you trying to make me look like a jackass. If the whole point of this was "to share some tips", that's what I was doing too. I guess if you start another one of these threads, just say "no additional input is invited". If by posting additional input into a thread you think someone is trying to look smart, then you are a very pessimistic person. Have a nice day!

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

I see by your community profile that you have posted hundreds of comments. Yet you haven't put down any of your experience or background in your profile? You sound like a young kid. Maybe in High School? Nothing wrong with that! I wish I were younger. But you must understand that in the absense of experience silence is golden. When you are ready to learn from older more experienced musicians, you will listen to what they say. Don't debate with them when you don't have any answers........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

I responded to this question in the Improvising thread.

Reply To Post