Saxophone Forum

by kelsey
(823 posts)
9 years ago

PLEASE, ADULTS ONLY/ RESONATORS

What kind of resonators should I have them use when they repad my alto? It's a Mark Vl. About eight months ago I had my Mark Vi tenor repaded and I had them use kangaroo pads with metal domed resonators. I love that set up for tenor and will probably do the same with my alto. Still I would like to get some ideas as far as flat verses domed resonators. Any help or advice would be appreciated........Kelsey

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

9 years ago

Re: PLEASE, ADULTS ONLY/ RESONATORS

I think the Selmer could use a little added oomph from the metal resos. Flat vs. domed i haven't a clue about. Of course, metal will shoot your legit tone all to h*!!...

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (823 posts)

9 years ago

blackfrancis, I hopefully don't have a legit tone. (that's not the sound I'm after) I have to play sometimes without a monitor. The metal domed resonators and hard kangaroo pads do give me a much needed louder sound with my tenor. I had ask for flat resonators originally when the tenor was done. He ordered the domed by mistake. Not wanting to wait longer to get started, I gave him the go ahead. I now love the tenor as is, but since I want the alto done, I don't know what would be best? Thanks for your reply.....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Tbone
    (120 posts)

9 years ago

Kelsey, Shape and material of a reso don't amount to a hill of poo! It's the size of the reso that makes the most difference. A resonator is simply a hard object that will reflect the sound back into the column and not allow the softness of the pads to absorb it. If you like the metal ones then use them or go with the plastic if you prefer. I have a fairly good supply of the brown plastic domed screw in back Selmer reso's. Many players prefer them but others go for metal from flat to Noyeks. In short, again, go with the ones you like the look of best. The whole metal vs. plastic myth is pure bunk IMHO!

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (823 posts)

9 years ago

Tbone, I think you are right about the material of the reso dosen't make much difference. The size of the reso makes the most differece. After my tenor had new pads installed, I noticed a lot of difference in sound. This was probaby because of the hard kangaroo pads that were put in. What is your opinion of domed vs flat resonators........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

9 years ago

Just kidding about the legit tone... I am in general agreement about plastic vs. metal, but after having my Super 20 done with plastic, I do notice a difference. Easier to be subtle, but I'm not sure you could tell listening out front. Having played a mk. VI for years, I do think anything you can do to maximize projection is a plus.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

9 years ago

I bought a Conn 10M a while ago that had been repadded with the Selmer style plastic dome resonator pads. I didn't really notice much difference in the sound between the plastic resonators on this horn and the Conn Res-O-Pads on the 10M that I usually play. One thing that I did notice was that the intonation on the Conn with the plastic resonator pads was way off. I tried adjusting key height and the horn still played way sharp. I measured the necks, and checked everything I could think of. Finally in desperation, I pulled the pads. I noticed that they were just a tad thicker than the Res-O-Pads. I installed a new set of Res-O-Pads and now the horn plays great and in tune. So was it the difference in thickness, the resonator type or material? I really don't know. I have talked to techs who said that the pads shouldn't have made a difference and that I just wasted my money by replacing them. I restored both a Chu alto and tenor, and I repadded both of them with white kangaroo pads with metal resonators. They both play very well. The pads are not nearly as noisy as standard leather pads. They both sound considerably brighter and louder, but still have that lush "Chu Berry" tone! My advice is to keep it as close to original as possible.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Yeoman
          (6 posts)

8 years ago

Hey,=] Where do I find those white kangaroo pads for an old Martin (C-mel?)? Originalty is our goal...and they just look really good.=]

Reply To Post

2. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

8 years ago

"Where do I find those white kangaroo pads for an old Martin (C-mel?)? Originalty is our goal...and they just look really good." www.musicmedic.com

Reply To Post

3. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

9 years ago

I agree with Jim, i bought a 10m which had plastc dome reso's in and i didn't like it until i replaced them with flat metal one's.This brought the horn alive. Dave

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
        (823 posts)

9 years ago

I think you are right about staying as original as possible with a Mark Vl. I was told that the early Vls had flat metal resonators. I now don't know if this is correct or not but that was what I was going for when I had my tenor done. Of coarse the kangaroo pads are different than the original and the repair man ordered the domed resonators. This project was an attempt to boost the volume of the horn. It really worked with my tenor. I guess I'll try the same combination with my alto. Thanks to everybody for the good advice.......Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

9 years ago

The difference between domed vs. flat reso's is simple. The dome is deeper into the tonehole than a flat so it changes the effective opening of the tonehole. In general, when going from either no reso or flat reso to domed the key heights must be opened to compensate for the dome. (Bear at cybersax.com has an interesting write up on this on his site) All the IV's I've seen came with domes with screw in backs in either plastic or metal. Resotech makes a good copy of the metal ones but rather pricey. The up side to screw ins is that they are re-useable. kelsey, if you're interested in screw in backs in plastic I have a fair inventory of these and could hook you up if you wanted to go that way.

Reply To Post

6. by kelsey
        (823 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for the good advice. It makes sense about the dome vs flat resonators and key heights. I think I'll have my sax repair guy go with the domed metal resonators with the kangaroo pads on my alto. I'll have the keys set to a medium height to maybe get the sound I like so well on tenor.........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

7. by STEVE GOODSON
        (291 posts)

8 years ago

The resonator is a reflector. Think of it as a mirror. If you want your horn to have it's "true" sound, the mirror must be accurate. Different materials have different reflection charecteristics. For most accurate reflection, you must use a material that is the same as your saxophone (brass). If you want to change the sound, use a different material, such as plastic. If you wish to increase the amount of reflection, enlarge the surface area of the reflector, such as through the use of a dome or by "waves" such as a Noyek.

Reply To Post

8. by Christian Anderson
        (73 posts)

8 years ago

Personally the domed selmer resonators work great on my alto, and I like the ease of tone but it still has the power that I need. I've never tried to flat reso's though.....

Reply To Post