Saxophone Forum

by sprintf
(14 posts)
18 years ago

jazz articulation

hi all! sorry folks, i am sure somebodyelse must have asked this question before but couldnt search this forum as i couldnt find the search box! i have experimented with the jazz swing based on what i have read and this is what i have understood: the swing feel is achieved by a combination of accent and duration of the 8th notes. the down beat is given the full value for its duration whereas the up beat is accented but the duration is shortened which creates the swing effect, right? the question is, most forums say you tonge the upbeat and slur into the down beat. if so how do you shorten the duration of the accented upbeat?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by knorter
    (205 posts)

18 years ago

Re: jazz articulation

This is a tempo sensitive issue. A lot of people learned to think of swing eighth notes like triplet eighth notes where you tie the first two together and the upbeat is the third triplet eighth. This only works at slow tempos like 12/8 feel blues. In this example the downbeat is twice as long as the upbeat. However, the faster the tempo the more ricky-ticky polka it sounds. The faster the tempo in reality, the closer all notes should become in length. The accents make it feel differently or swung. If you listen to really fast bebop solos like Bird doing rhythm changes you'll hear that the notes are equal length and most notes aren't even accented but every time he changes direction within a bebop line he accents the highest or lowest note of the line. (change of direction) This usually ends up accenting upbeats or syncopated rhythms. This is really hard to teach through writing. Listen to the masters. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

18 years ago

My best advice here would be not to overanalyze the issue, and listen a lot to people like Kristy said such as Bird, Cannonball, maybe Stitt, etc. I really like the swing of Phil Woods. As far as the articulation, listen to Cannonball. Slow it down if you can, and you'll see he really has no pattern to it other than accenting turning points. It's a very random sort of thing. In an ascending line he might slur 2, tounge 1, or he might slur 3 and then tounge 5 and then slur the rest of the way. It's all about the feel.

Reply To Post

1. by sprintf
        (14 posts)

18 years ago

thx very much for your comments, ok thats sorted then!

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

Kristy, This is a really hard subject to explain but your suggestion to listen to the masters is right on. When I was teaching I had students who just couldn't get the concept. I think they wanted me just to tell them how to do it without them having to do the required hours of listening. If a person dosen't love jazz enough to listen to the masters, they will never play jazz....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

Here's a visual explanation and audio of jazz articulation. Go to jazz artriculations: www.milesosland.com/books.html#smcja

Reply To Post

2. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

Here's a visual explanation and audio of jazz articulation. Go to: www.milesosland.com/books.html#smcja

Reply To Post