Saxophone Forum

by gemster
(51 posts)
18 years ago

ok i feel stupid so please be nice

I go to a music school every saturday and one of the seesions they run is this awesome stage band. My inspiration for starting sax was hearing them play at a concert! I already sing for them, but now I'm good enough to join but I am just too nervous/ scared of joining! It's really weird because most of them I know and am friends with, last week one of the guys told me I should stay but I couldn't (I sound stupid but that's how it really is). Has anyone got any advice on confidence? I think one of the reasons is because I don't feel like I'm needed, the band has 8 altos, 3 flutes, 4 trumpets, a bone, and two tenors. I also play tenor to the same standard as the second tenor, I dont know if there is a third tenor part, but would I have any use there? Help please! : D

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by clamness
    (13 posts)

15 years ago

Re: ok i feel stupid so please be nice

read "effortless mastery" by kenny werner, it will change your life, and it's a quick read available through aebersold

Reply To Post

2. by wkusax87
    (12 posts)

15 years ago

Practice in front of people. End of story. This will get rid of stage fright

Reply To Post

3. by scarter6
    (9 posts)

13 years ago

try the inner game of music. all of my professors recommended it when I was an undergrad

Reply To Post

4. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

there is no key to confidence, nothing we can say to help you gain confidence. but, every time you do something that requires confidence you will gain it. and unfortunately, you will fall on your face a lot of the time, but there is nothing you can do but get back up. everybody falls, do not fear falling or you will never go up.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

speech class, talk infront of people, play infront of people often, know what you're doing. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

It is not stupid to be shy. And I disagree with a previous responder, you do not necessarily fall on your face "a lot of the time." If you do happen to fall on your face, you may get a bruised nose, but bruised noses heal. Ask the director/coordinator of the band where he/she prefers you to be. With 8 altos and only 2 tenors, I know I would prefer to join in where I don't get lost in the crowd (on tenor). But then, Tenor doesn't get quite as much opportunity to shine. If youre shy, though, it may be an easier place to start. I encourage you to stay, play a little, and if you're uncomfortable, play just a little more. You don't probably have to stay for the entire session if it's too draining the first time. You've been invited. Accept the invitation, and see where it leads. You'll do fine.

Reply To Post

1. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

thanks everyone. I'll try and go play next saturday! Thanks for your advice and encouragement, I should probably try not to get so worked up about stuff.....I think its mainly in my mind that I have the problem. If i fall on my face, at least i will have a cool bruise to show off, heheh.. =)

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

18 years ago

bare your scars with pride

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

I will! Although I am getting slightly nervous as Saturday draws closer. I am a total wimp. I should get a badge.

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

At least you've got a thumbs up from us!

Reply To Post

5. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

=D At least i will have shoulders to cry on.... hehehe! It's not like they're gonna eat me now, is it?

Reply To Post

6. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

18 years ago

i hate to tell ya, but they may. some musicians are total jerks. but dont let them get to you

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

Well..... They didnt eat me. I didnt embarrass myself in any way. I had an AWESOME time!! Thankyou all so much for your support and encouragement. Seriously I wouldnt have done it if you hadnt told me to stop being a wimp. : D xxx

Reply To Post

8. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Great news, Gemster! Keep it up! Next time will be that much easier (not the music, but the courage)!

Reply To Post