Saxophone Forum

by danfrain
(1 post)
18 years ago

New player

Hi. My son Chris is turning eleven soon. His school offers basic band and he's decided he wants to play sax. There's a music here that does a good business in rentals, but they want about $50 a month, and with the price of horns these days, he'll have kids of his own before he gets it paid off. Does anyone have a basic student horn they'd like to sell cheap or give away? If it needs work, it needs work; we'll get it going. I used to play guitar and I've given away more than a few guitars. My only condition has been that if it's a gift, it has to stay a gift. If whoever I gave it to doesn't need it anymore, they're supposed to give it away to someone else who needs it. It works so far. I've known of at least two guitars I gave away which have gone on to other owners. Hopefully, they've gone to yet other people. Maybe I'll see one of them again somewhere. Thanks for letting me into your heads for these few minutes. Stay safe, and may God bless. I wish you peace. Dan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New player

I like your giving strategy, but unfortunately I can't help you that way... If you can scrape together $400-500, you should be able to pick up a used alto sax in good condition via the want ads (newspaper or Craig's List). The Yamaha YAS-23 seems to have the best reputation for both quality and durability in a beginner sax. If you want a tenor, figure on a couple of hundred bucks more. The Yamaha YTS-23 is a good bet there, too. Tenors don't get many good parts in non-jazz school bands, but *everyone* knows they're way cooler! ;-) If you know anybody who plays any sax at all, you could save yourself a lot of trouble by having them 'test drive' any sax you're considering. Finally, take some time to browse thiss Welcome area and the General discussion area if you want to get more opinions and ideas...

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New player

One more thing--you don't want any "new" saxophones that sell for under $1000. They are cheaply made and will likely cost you much more in the long run. Plus, your son will likely get frustrated with it and quit before giving it a chance, because they often do not play in tune (and playing a saxophone in tune is hard enough with a good horn...). Look under high shool saxophone discussion, and browse through Jim's list of approved saxophones. It lists others in addition to the Yamaha (which also would be good) that Mark mentioned above.

Reply To Post