Saxophone Forum

by EternalBeginner620
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Whining Problems with my Upper D key

Hey all, I'm new and I was hoping to get some help. I got back into playing horns and have a Martin Low Pitch alto. But everytime I play the upper D key, the sax makes a screeching sound that makes nails raking a chalkboard sound like Sonny Rollins. The funny thing is, it only makes that screeching sound on the Upper D, not on any other key requiring the octave key, not even the Upper Eb/D# or Upper E. I'd like to get it repaired but I'd prefer to try and repair it on my own, if it's possible. 1) What do you think it is? I have it narrowed down to a looseness in the positioning of either the octave key or the finger pad over the E key. Possibly also the thin wires being a little bent? 2) Can I fix it on my own, or is this something i need to have looked at (ie repadding, retuning, etc). Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. - JPO The Eternal Beginner

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Whining Problems with my Upper D key

Do you mean the fourth line D or the above the second ledger line D?

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

18 years ago

hey, I think I just had this problem on my alto... it requires the following, A rope light, or christmas light thing that can be shoved down the sax, and common sense. See if there is any light leaking out of the horn, then either shim up the key (if another one pushes on it to make it close) or look up how to reseat a pad.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

18 years ago

hey, I think I just had this problem on my alto... it requires the following, A rope light, or christmas light thing that can be shoved down the sax, and common sense. See if there is any light leaking out of the horn, then either shim up the key (if another one pushes on it to make it close) or look up how to reseat a pad.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by EternalBeginner620
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

I've heard about this to check for leaks. What do you mean by "shim up" the key, and do all the pads have to be closed to check for light leaks in a dark room?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

"I've heard about this to check for leaks. What do you mean by "shim up" the key, and do all the pads have to be closed to check for light leaks in a dark room?" nevermind, you better take it to someone who does this for a living.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM