Saxophone Forum

by Genny
(5 posts)
18 years ago

My mouthpiece issue

Hi, so far, i have a metal mouthpiece for a tenor saxophone that i just recently used on my alto saxophone..Before i shared this situation with other people and i got word that the tone would sounds different and it's rather unhealthy to use different mouthpieces in the wrong saxophone. After hearing that..i stop using it..till now. So far, i noticed that the tone i make with it (metal mouthpiece) is louder and more punctual than with my plastic one. Although i'm worried with it being an unhealthy practice. Since my other mouthpiece ain't doing well so i had to use this. So far, any ideas or comments regarding my situation? Any idea would help. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

Re: My mouthpiece issue

Genny, the sound is what's going to be unhealthy. (sound bad) Any tenor mouthpiece on an alto will never sound right. Most people that I know use metal tenor mouthpieces on tenor and alto hard rubber mouthpieces for their alto. If you think you want to go with a metal mouthpiece on your alto get a correct alto metal mouthpiece.......Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

"If you think you want to go with a metal mouthpiece on your alto get a correct alto metal mouthpiece" DEFINITELY!!!! I play metal on alto, its not bad at all Just try playing your alto with that tenor mpc against a tuner....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Genny
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

I see..well better make do with my plastic mouthpiece then Thank you for clarifying me on this issue

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by JZ
          (83 posts)

18 years ago

Re: FrankenSax

This is an interesting thread. How exactly did you get the tenor mouthpiece to fit on the alto neck? Isn't the cork on the tenor significantly larger than the cork on the alto?? Please clarify. I could see screwing around with mouthpieces and saxophones, but I would hate to mess up the cork on my horn. I remember my very first alto saxophone lesson in third grade. I asked Mr. Venditti, a bassoon player, as he examined my Conn alto, "You know how some neck parts go straight, and other ones go up and down, and other ones go down and around? Can you just buy a different neck or do you need a whole other horn?" It turns out you needed to buy a whole other horn. Anyway, one night in Berkeley a long time ago near the University at the Center Street BART station (Bart is the San Francisco Bay area subway system) I heard some guy playing an alto out on the street, and it sounded really good. I followed the sound and found the guy standing at the BART station entrance. Walking up to him, I said hey, what kind of mouthpiece you got on that thing? He said, "Ah Ha! Yea! It sounds like a tenor doesn't it?" It did. Actually, it sounded like a good cross between an alto and a tenor. It is as though he was trying to achieve a particular sound, and he found it. He was playing the Berg Larson metal mouthpiece. I don’t remember the facing or the type of reed or ligature or even what kind of horn he had it on. The weird part was that this guy didn't have an octave key on his horn. Part of the contraption that lifts the pads was missing so he could never use the octave key. He had to lip it in order to play the upper register. He had a good sound. I heard him playing out on the streets in other areas, like one time, or two times, on Market Street in San Francisco. I recognized the sound, and it was the same guy. If you, too, are the kind of guy who would put a tenor mouthpiece on an alto and then ask people what they think of it, perhaps you should look into the Berg Larson metal. Didn’t Adolphe originally put a clarinet mpc on a trumpet or something. . .

Reply To Post

2. by Genny
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

Re: FrankenSax

I use a Bobby Dukoff Silverite Tenor D7..I bought it to where my sax repairman lives. It's fits actually. The cork doesn't come off, but it's slightly harder to insert than the plastic mouthpiece that came along with the saxophone

Reply To Post Yahoo!