Saxophone Forum

by saxandtrombone
(3 posts)
20 years ago

marching bobos

i was just wandering what the worst thing that happened to your sax when marching like falling and such. my worst thing (so far) was i was marching a 4 to 5 at a backwards slide and had to stab and go forward at a 6 to 5 and it was in the mud i hadent fallen before and i sliped and smushed my whole sax. it took 3 weeks and 200$ they had to replace most of the lower rods and bend out a lot of dents. what has happened to you?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxman2200
    (64 posts)

20 years ago

Re: marching bobos

Well I'm glad to say that aside frome a broken reed, and a bent palm key. Nothing too bad has ever happened to me. But at one of our new saxophone players first competition we where all standing in parade rest, and she was on a neoteck neckstrap. The hook came out and she diddn't realize it so when our drum major siglaled for us to go into attention, she dropped it mouthpiece first (expensive mouthpiece first) onto the ground. It was at plymuth before they got astroturf and after it had rained so when she picked it up it was full halfway through the neck of mud, and the reed had split right through the middle, and a quarter of the mouthpiece had just broken off. Needless to say she diddn't play that show, and nobody let her forget it. We still call her muddy.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman2200
    (64 posts)

20 years ago

The name of our show is " The wonderfull world of Bernard Herman" if you don't know who that is he wrote most of the music for Alfred Hitchcock. So our show is mostly just rythmic ostenodo's (did I spell that right?) we start out with chords from Farenheit 451, then we do the thyme to psyco, then we go into the Taxi driver, it's really cool.

Reply To Post

3. by SevenSP
    (1 post)

20 years ago

wow thats pretty bad. worste thing that has happened to my marching saxophoen is the octave key pad fell off. its in good condition though cuz its new. sumthing bad happened to my strap though, it broke halfway through the middle of a BOA competition, had to hold it without one.

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

20 years ago

my bari neckstrap broke in the middle of state finals, dont complain

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by rednecksax
    (24 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, at state competition my bari (mark 6) broke off from the begginning of the curve (by the low C) so i had to carry it with one hand from the bottom. Worst part, I still had to do the solo because the other 3 baris couldn't. Luckily it was all left hand notes.

Reply To Post

5. by SaxhappyScooby
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

LOL! sorry to hear about the damage to your sax, but it reminds me of all times i've fallen over in marching band. Some call me accident prone, but that's not good when im holding my sax! Anyway, once, we were at stand by and when I was fiddling around with the keys of my sax and noticed that my octave key, along with my A, B, and G keys were missing! I had to hunt the field for an hour before i found them all! Then, in my lack of $$ state, i had to duct tape all but the octave key back on until i could repair them! Hope all goes well and there's no more falls.

Reply To Post

1. by kool.boi
      (1 post)

20 years ago

dont wrry bout it much... its the luck of the draw... im from diamond bar high school and we were at championships 2-3 weeks ago... earlier in the day, i tripped up and dropped my sax... and messed up my ankle and knee. i couldnt even lift my toe high enough to make it seem like i was trying... neway i go to the comp and pull out the sax, unfortunetly we were late, so we had to hussle out to the warm up area... so i limp and hobble out there and start to play warm up... and the entire key plate was bent every which way, and i had really important low Bb notes to play. anyway, it wasnt the best.. i dont know if it was because i wasnt playing, but the same part that is REALLY important for the tenors and the part i couldnt play, happen to be the part that completely split apart. o well. after the show was done.... i was trying to get pit out, and my other knee popped out of place and i completely collasped on the track.... neway... getting dragged off the track... i realized.. that day was the best day ever... my last too.... im a senior and marching was a blast... so dont wrry about it.... at least it'll be something ill remember for a while.... and enjoy the exprience while u can.... it'll past b4 u know it...

Reply To Post

6. by Peteboypete
    (1 post)

20 years ago

The worst thing that happened was my senior year after I finished my last competetion. After the pictures, I threw my Yamaha 23 tenor off the top of the bleachers. It seemed like a good idea at the time. A couple weeks earlier I had gotten my current silver plated 62, but, man, I don't know how I did that to an instrument. That is definately one the biggest mistakes I ever made.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmaniac
      (19 posts)

20 years ago

i wish i had some damage to boast, i guess i've been too careful in these last few years of marchin about. last season it got rained on a lot.....

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
        (55 posts)

20 years ago

agreed. i think no news is good news in this post personally. once somebody from percussion took all of my section's necks out of their cases and left them in the bandroom B4 our toughest competition, b/c they thought it would be funny. they didn't get mine, so we were ok i guess, cuz i play on a dukoff D9, so i can take up for em if need be, but the percussion section did about 250 push-ups thanx to me, and about 5 laps around the school thanx to my band director. (1 lap=1/2 mile) Joel

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

well this is from pep band, but whatever. I was holding my sax about 4 feet off the floor by the neck(my vito, by the by) and didn't notice the tigtening screw had broken off. well it went tumbling down, took a big bounce, and i caught it about an inch above someone's flute. the vito took no damage(well, you wouldn't notive after all the times i've dropped that thing)

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

"I was holding my sax about 4 feet off the floor by the neck" that's alwase a good idea.... the worst thing that happened to me was someone stepped on my tenor (not my 10m, it was a indiana) and screwed up some rods and keys. I also bent a palm key really good once (it broke in half later) on my 10m, don't remeber where or when that happened though.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by justabandgrl
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

Nothings actually happened to my sax but while we were at standby, my reed broke when it accidentally brushed up on my overlay, it split in two the whole way down. Forutnately there were enough saxes in our band to cover for me. Then right after we stepped off the competition line my eye just started burning all of a sudden and i couldnt see. The people in drumline had to fall out and there are some saxes in drumline. So I had to walk through drumline not able to see and towing my alto as well as a bari. We ended up sweeping sweepstakes and getting top honors in everything etc, but i tossed that reed away right when i got back to my case.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

Nothing has happened to my sax when I was actually performing, but during practice this trombone player steped on the back of my shoe when we were in a tight block. For some reason he was the one that fell, only he fell forward on top of me, making me go down one my sax. I was sandwiched between my sax and his trombone and him. It was uncomfortable. Thankfully, besides getting grass in the keys, my sax was OK.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by PIP
          (29 posts)

20 years ago

Unfortunately, I believe I've got all of you beat. During basketball pep band my strap broke and my sax went bouncing down two flights of pure concrete steps. I was so thankful that i had a maintinence contract on it so a $650 repair was free.

Reply To Post

6. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

hey, anyone care to share the theme of your maching band show??? We just ended band camp. Our theme is "Sounds of Storytime". I must admit, I thought it sounded kind of wussy when my director first introduced the concept, but it ended up being pretty cool. Our opener is "The Land of Make Believe" origonally done by Chuck Mangione and we're also doing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"(the little golden book, the Tawny Scrawny Lion) and "Chatanooga Choo Choo" (the Little Engine That Could) and one other, which my director hasn't shown us yet. The drill is flawlessly written. When the saxes have melody (and we do quite a bit!) we are right up front, where we belong!!! Its great. What are everyone else's???

Reply To Post AIM

7. by PIP
          (29 posts)

20 years ago

This year our marching show is entitled "Bring me that Horizon". It is custom arrangements of music from "Pirates of the Carribbean". The alto part is awesome but my part (tenor) sucks.

Reply To Post

8. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

That sounds awesome! I love the Pirates of the Carribean soundtrack. Its got great music. Too bad tenors don't have such a good part. Have fun with it anyway! Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

9. by torn
          (4 posts)

20 years ago

my band is doing a Santana show. the music is fun. can't wait till band camp (friday)

Reply To Post

10. by mega band geek
          (60 posts)

20 years ago

Only band incident that I can think of happened at a football game. The band was in the stands playing pep-band tunes and we were dancing around while playing. One of the Sousaphone players forgot to tighted the screws that hold on the bell and while dancing around, the bell fell off and over the side of the bleachers.

Reply To Post AIM

11. by CCHSbandgeek
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I can say, that this summer, my first of band camp (it's a two week thing before school starts at night) it was after a dinner night, and right before freshman orrintation...i blakced out...luckily, a big guy was next to me...i was lucky...and i think my mom's sax is so bad...the one time i was playing at an away game and francis was coming up threw PA, i couldn't play a thing..and I think i squeaked a few times... Our show SUCKS!!! we dont even have a color guard...so in no color gaurd...no show name...but were up front ofthe one song we have meld. but it's really gay. But we play Estacia, and I saw her standing there and Never my love. It's really funny how we lpay songs that were on a top 40 list at one point PEP BAND ROCKS MY SOCKS!

Reply To Post AIM

12. by zizz
          (1 post)

19 years ago

Heh, its reading posts like this that makes me content about my band. I go to Collins Hill and our show is called "Concerto". Movement 1: For the Brass 2:" woodwinds 3: " percussion In For the woodwinds all the brass back off and the woodwinds block at the front of the feild. All of the sudden we play this really fast part that makes the audience go wild and finish it off with a massive chromatic run and the brass and percussion come in to start the third movement. Its awesome. Tell me if you've heard of us we're in the top ten for the South East

Reply To Post

13. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

19 years ago

we did that, well, actually the H.S. did that, i just got to play with the jrs/srs. Who woulda guessed, a 7th grader at the time playing with 12 gradeers cause one couldnt cut the part........

Reply To Post AIM