Saxophone Forum

by javanut
(1 post)
20 years ago

New Too

Hi there! I am new to Saxquest and new to playing the sax (or any instrument for that matter!) I am, I guess a "late comer" I'm 36 years old and started playing alto sax about 1 year ago. It's a slowww process, but I love it. Hope to get to know all of you soon! Pamela

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by davebari
    (4 posts)

20 years ago

Re: New Too

Java(Pam outside of cyberspace), I'm impressed you started the sax at your advanced age! (I'm kidding... I'm 42, so relax) Anyway just a little advice. You gotta keep hitting the scales, but if they get too boring get a real easy book of standards or pop songs. It gives you something to shoot for and when you recognize the melody it's a new thrill. If you're already beyond that, get a book of blues scales and jazz etudes. Once you've found a few notes you like, you'd be surprised how good you can sound with a couple of guitar and piano playing friends. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by FISHERMAN
      (31 posts)

20 years ago

Welcome all, I fit the age bracket but started playing in 4 grade. Took about 3 year hiatus from playing and had to sell horns due to family medical problems . Got started back about a year ago. So far pick up a Tenor and Soprano dying for a Alto, coming soon. Do not know if you all have tried www.saxshed.com but it is a cool website. I tell you after stopping for 3 years my memory was still there but my embouchure and fingers had aged beyond belief. My better half told me welcome to middle age madness. Well good luck and Happy Tootin.

Reply To Post

1. by davebari
        (4 posts)

20 years ago

THANX, Fisherman! I've got saxshed bookmarked now. I'll be surfing for help.

Reply To Post

2. by othernews
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

You know, it's a very strange thing. I've heard that about scales often, yet I play a large amount of jazz, rock, rock and roll, reggae, bluebeat, pop and even almost classical to the satisfaction of the various groups I play with, yet I virtually never play or practice any scales. I use arpeggios extensively, and they make a sound like what I believe to be proper music. Neither are they particularly flashy arpeggios...oh well. Enjoy it, however you do it.

Reply To Post

2. by ironvic
    (1 post)

20 years ago

Hi Javanut! Back when I was 41 I bought a used Selmer clarinet, but ended up selling it a few years later when I changed careers, to put food on the table. Just bought a really good sounding B-12 clarinet and am back grooving on it. Last week, at age 51(!) I found a very nice beater of an alto sax by Conn. I enjoy sitting up late at night and conjure up a smoky bar in my mind, close my eyes and play for the couple kissing in the back booth. Incredible what sounds you can coax out of the instrument when you just let her go and put your soul into it. No matter what your age, the saxophone is a great instrument and I know I'll always have one to keep me company! --Victor

Reply To Post